Need new PC Speakers
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need new PC Speakers

Need new PC Speakers

The other day I blew out my Creative Labs THX550 5.1 speaker setup. The fuse just keeps blowing and I was unable to locate the prob upon dissassembling. I was unhappy with the one year warranty that came with them. I had these for 3 years which I guess is good as far as computer stuff goes but when I spent close to three hundred dollars on speakers, I wasn't thinking I would need to replace them so soon. Does anyone have any recommendations? I play video games and use my PC more than my stereo so I really want something that booms. I don't want to spend more than $325 if it can be avoided. I have an Audigy Gamer 5.1 sound card and XP SP2. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

I've had the best experience with logitech speakers

http://www.logitech.com
    Hello World

Banned
    I hate you both, I wish I could afford something like that

So use my compter for a stereo more and more, crappy little Boston Acoustic 2 speaker sub combo Gateway things

Those are the z-5300's. I bought them with my xmas money and they rock!!!
    They are very loud, and the Sub Woofer is pretty good too. I have them hooked up to my Audigy 2 ZS, awesome combo

Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Speakers, whether hooked to a an entertainment system or a pc are a subjective taste. You need to listen to them first to hear and compare for yourself. Differences are there. With home speakers I have always loved Klipsh because they offer Horn Tweeters and that I like. So, if you go out listening, consider these:
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0172950

These days with sound cards being what they are, i run my computer through a home theater amp. Sound quality crushes any comp speaker setup.
    Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
    Sun-tzu (~400 BC), The Art of War. Emptiness and Fullness

They don't sell 5.1 (only 2 and 2.1), but I've been extremely happy with my Yamaha's. Current lineup is here: http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/idx_speakers.asp I have these: http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/...rs/ystm100.asp

For 5.1 I would look at these: http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=712

I personally refuse to buy anything from Creative.
    Probability factor of one to one...we have normality, I repeat we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.

I've had both Altec-Lansing and Creative - you can't go too far wrong with either IMHO.

I have had excellent results with Logitech support. I told them that the subwoofer on my 4.1 setup was crackling and they RMAed me a 5.1 set without me having to send anything into them.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

Ditto on the Altecs. My wife still uses them after 6 or 7 years now. By contrast, I've gone through 3 sets of Klipsh.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Quote Originally Posted by silencio
    Ditto on the Altecs. My wife still uses them after 6 or 7 years now. By contrast, I've gone through 3 sets of Klipsh.
    Seriously sil? What went wrong with each set, do you know? How about the warranty? Their home models must be made somewhere else or with different qc. I will remember what you said right there though.

The first set (4 channel) died after about 18 months. The second set (5.1s I bought at Compusa) died after 6 months. Second set was replaced under warranty. I also have a pair of klipsh klf-30 speakers driven by a B&K reference amp and preamp (reference 20) in the basement that have gone through two woofers, one mid and one tweeter. I'll never buy klipsch again. The basement stuff gets hard use but it should hold it for the price. The computer speakers were never cranked up.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It's between the 500 watt Logitech's or Klipsh. I'm not a huge fan of Logitech due to the bad wireless keyboard I bought from them. I may have to reconsider though because quite a few people recommended them, here and elsewhere.

Khazad - I have a nice Technics stereo but it's in the living room. I need something in my office that is small enough to fit. 4 ft speakers aren't going to cut it but I do agree my stand alone stereo blew away my THX550.

I'll be shopping over the weekend. Good night everyone.

go to your loacal hock shop and pick up an older amp with 6 chanel discrete sound and a set of mid range micro speakers ... you'll be much happier for the price.
    Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
    Sun-tzu (~400 BC), The Art of War. Emptiness and Fullness