motherboard?

Thread: motherboard?

Unhappy motherboard?

Hi, I have a HP a316n pavilion and my mother was using it one day and said she plugged a usb plug into the one provided on the front of the tower that sits next to the media card reader. from then on we get a whistle like SOUND continuous. And the screen reads the logo..."intel inside" and logo "HP invent"
    and the bottom of the screen shows, F1 setup or F10 System Recovery. But it will not let me do anything...It's froze with the screen as described above and the whistle sound is continuous and never stops..And the only way to turn it off is to unplug it. I can not get it to do what the prompts read to do.
    ANY help would be so appretiated.. I also can not open the CD drive.
    PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS ! I forgot to add that this computer is running on windows XP home edition.
    Last edited by Pita28337; March 12th, 2005 at 03:55 PM. Reason: forgot something

Welcome to Windrivers Pita...

What was the usb device your mother plugged in? Have you unplugged this device?
    This could also be a heat alarm and it's just a coincidence the usb device was plugged in. If it is heat, there is a hardware problem.

Is it still under warranty?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

If you get any kind of screen it most likely isn't the motherboad and is recoverable one way or another. Can you hit, I believe F2 and enter into the bios? It could also be that the cpu fan no longer works and in that case you would also get a constant beep.

thankyou..I do not know what she tried to plug in.No warranty anymore. Im terribly lost on this one. I can NOT GET ANYTHING TO WORK ON THE COMPUTER. Just that nasty whistle sound. Any help is appretiated..thanks so much. How do I check a heat alarm?

Thanks so much. I do not know where that fan is located. The one in the back of the tower comes on. I can't even get the keyboard to work with it. I have plugged in a differant keyboard also and have had no luck. The movie THROW MOMMA FROM THE TRAIN, has crossed my mind a few times.(smile)

Start with unplugging everything from the computer. Do something else for about an hour or so. Then come back and plug in the power chord, the monitor chord that plugs into the back of the computer and the keyboard and mouse. Don't plug anything else in. Now turn the computer on. If that doesn't work, unplug everything again, pull the computer out and, facing the back side of the computer, remove the right side panel. There may even be thumb screws to make that easy, just remove the right side screws and slide the right side panel toward you and it should come right off. Now, plug the keyboard, mouse and monitor back in and then plug in the power chord. Do not stick your hands or any other objects inside the computer. Now, facing the computer from the side, look at the mid to upper left corner of the the main board and you will see a large silver cube with a small fan on top. That is the cpu heatsink and fan. Turn the computer on and see if that fan spins. If it doesn't, you need a new fan. If it does spin and the whistle continues, post and let us know.

Motherboard ?

I opened the tower as you said, and the fan was fine. Any other suggestions?"

Unplug everything again and look at the inside again down in the lower right corner and you should see a round battery. This time you will want to reach inside of your computer (make sure everything is unplugged). Before doing that ground yourself by touching a grounded metal surface that isn't the computer to get rid of static electricity your body might have. What you will need to find is a tiny set of three pins, two of which (a middle pin and one of the end pins) will be covered by a jumper, that is almost certainly located near that battery. A jumper completes a circuit in the set of pins. What you will need to do is remove the jumper and shift it so that the middle pin and the other pin that was first uncovered will now be covered. This will clear the CMOS, the program that starts first when you turn your computer on that lets the operating system work with the hardware. Usually clearing the CMOS takes about 30 to 60 seconds but sometimes can take up to an hour or so. Try waiting a minute and then remove the jumper again and put it back on the two pins that were covered originally.
    Plug your monitor, keyboard and mouse back in and then plug in the main power chord and turn the computer back on. Hopefully things will work but you won't be done yet. What you will need to do is enter the BIOS. When you turn the computer on you will need to hit I think F1. Usually I just start hitting the key repeatedly before I even turn the computer on as timing can be a bit tricky. If you get to this point, post and let us know.

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...234#post584234
    Your HP system uses the same motherboard - read those posts...
    You can try also another PSU (may be voltages are below normal as CDROM's door you should be able to open in any case)...

I'm begining to think this is a memory problem and it was just coincidence it happened at that time.