Which DVD Write discs to buy?

Thread: Which DVD Write discs to buy?

Question Which DVD Write discs to buy?

I am new to the concept of DVD Writing, only having had a DVD ROM up till now but my new computer will have a multi format 16x Dual Layer DVD re-writer so what discs can I use? I was in the computer store today and they had a special offer on DVD RW and DVD R but the DVD R were either minus sign or plus sign R, what does this mean and can I use either? I do understand the difference between R and RW but have only used CD Write up till now. I did not buy any discs in case I got discs I could not use.
    Last edited by MorseLady; March 19th, 2005 at 01:45 PM.

All this '+ & -' stuff is most confusing !

Generally its to do with standalone player compatability & the fact that there is no one single writeable DVD standard which all manufacturers can settle on, so we have this most confusing situation where most people will say to get a 'dual format' writer (which you seem to have, so both DVD+ & DVD- capable) & then use whichever disks seem to work best in the players in your household. Both formats claim about 90% compatability with standalone players out there, but most folks would probably be of the opinion that dvd-r gives you the best chance of it playing 'anywhere'.

What I'll say to you, is to buy yourself one of each type of rewriteable disk for now & experiment - if you've no need for the disks produced to be played anywhere other than in a pc that has a dual format writer, then you can most likely not worry about it at all .

(there are however some applications that can only use certain formats though to write, & in those cases you'll need the appropriate type of disk available )

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    All this '+ & -' stuff is most confusing !

Generally its to do with standalone player compatability & the fact that there is no one single writeable DVD standard which all manufacturers can settle on, so we have this most confusing situation where most people will say to get a 'dual format' writer (which you seem to have, so both DVD+ & DVD- capable) & then use whichever disks seem to work best in the players in your household. Both formats claim about 90% compatability with standalone players out there, but most folks would probably be of the opinion that dvd-r gives you the best chance of it playing 'anywhere'.

What I'll say to you, is to buy yourself one of each type of rewriteable disk for now & experiment - if you've no need for the disks produced to be played anywhere other than in a pc that has a dual format writer, then you can most likely not worry about it at all .

(there are however some applications that can only use certain formats though to write, & in those cases you'll need the appropriate type of disk available )
    I hartily endorse the preceding statement.

Thank you for that very good explanation con-fused and I am much clearer now about DVD writing.

Initially I will only be using the DVD write for data backup of music and images as you can get more on a DVD disc than on CD disc. Eventually we hope to be able to transfer our old Beta and VHS tapes to DVD as both my husband's new machine and the one I am having have got S video etc. but that is in the future as we both have to learn a new skill, DVD writing, first.

I will buy one pack of each of the formats in the sale.