Quote Originally Posted by BOB IROC
Its 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. I wouldn't say that Intel "drastically" outperforms AMD in business apps. We are talking a matter of a seconds here. Besides AMD processors are 800 - 1000 mhz slower than the P4s they are running up against and yet the can keep up just fine. Seeing as AMD wins some and Intel wins some and usually only by a thin margin, I would go with the better value. Currently that is AMD. If someone is willing to pay more for intel than that is their business. I know I have an intel machine, but the only reason for that is because the motherboard and processor were free. Otherwise I would have all AMD. They run all my applications just fine.
Well, like you said, it's a matter of seconds. When I boot my intel box I can have a firefox or IE window up in just a few seconds. With my AMD box it's a few more seconds. That's marginal though. The problem comes in with multiple apps. Try opening a number of applications at once. The benefits of hyperthreading are apparent at once. Try running a number of processor intensive apps at once. I notice the difference... Could be just me though..