Win 98se shutdown issue

Thread: Win 98se shutdown issue

Question Win 98se shutdown issue

Ok, I'm having an odd issue with my most recent re-install of Win98SE. I've been using the same copy for 6 years now and am extremely familiar with the in's and out's of SE. I did a re-install because I got a new MB and Video card and long ago learned that MB upgrades don't work well on an existing copy of SE. So I get nearly everything installed and I start getting intermitant lockups at shutdown. I began forcing the creation of a bootlog every time to discover the cause, and I noticed something odd. Here's the shutdown sequence, even when it reboots successfully.

Code:
    Terminate = User
    Terminate = Query Drivers
    EndTerminate = Query Drivers
    Terminate = Unload Network
    EndTerminate = Unload Network
    Terminate = Reset Display
    EndTerminate = Reset Display
    EndTerminate = User
    --
    Notice something odd? That's right, no "Terminate = KERNEL" sequence. Also if I force a Windows restart with the shift key, it completes through "EndTerminate = KERNEL" and starts to reload, but hangs at a seemingly random point during reload. (it keeps changing) I've tried all the usual SE restart hang fixes... not letting SE do IRQ steering... the infamous "IDE cache patch"... etc. Of note, I have no issues putting it in Suspend and coming back out. I have the latest BIOS update and am running the latest versions of nearly all my drivers. (some are not becuase the latest versions generate problems of their own) For a snapshot, here's my system specs and key drivers:

MB: Asus A7V8X-X (BIOS version 1012; VIA Hyperion 455vp1)
    CPU: Athlon 2500+ (no overclocking)
    Memory: 1x 512meg DDR 2700 (no previous issues)
    Video: Asus V9570 GeForce FX 5700 256meg AGP8x (Forceware 71.84)
    Sound: SB Audigy (v2.5 VxD Patch; EMU10KX.VXD 4.12.01.0125-1.00.0010)
    (onboard AC97 audio disabled in BIOS)
    Network: Onboard VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet (v3.15)
    HD/CD: 1x 80gig Maxtor, 1x 20gig Maxtor, 1x LG GCC-4480B DVD/CDRW Combo
    Power Supply: 360 Watt w/ APC UPS on USB (clean power levels)
    Keyboard: Logitech Internet Navigator on USB (iTouch v2.1 build 159 - later builds cause Shutdown lockup)
    Mouse: Logitech Pilot Wheelmouse on USB & Trackman II on PS/2 (Mouseware v9.24.80 - later builds cause Shutdown lockup)
    Monitor: 1280x1024x16 on Primary display, 800x600x16 on secondary TV display (nView disabled)
    Other Software: AVG Free, ZoneAlarm 5.0.590.043 (latest version causes Shutdown lockup)

That's the key elements. I'm at a loss as to why the Terminate = KERNEL sequence is not being processed. Any ideas out there?
    Last edited by Fallguy; March 25th, 2005 at 10:17 PM. Reason: accidently posted before finishing

Did you try the win98 se shutdown supplement?
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    Did you try the win98 se shutdown supplement?
    That was the first thing I tried. I'm an old hand at resolving SE shutdown issues and am familiar with all the usual tricks. This one's a new wrinkle. :\

Also wanted to add that I've set it up to retain the last 10 Bootlogs by default and always create a Bootlog with every boot. Of the last 10, it only proccessed the Terminate = KERNEL once, but it successfully restarts about 60% of the time, even when it doesn't process the Terminate = KERNEL sequence. I've tried seeing if it relates to what I'm doing while using the system by trying to run different combinations of programs and then seeing if it will force a lockup, but it remains elusive and impossible to pin down exactly what is causing the lockup. Sometimes it will lockup if all I've done is power up, run Outlook Express, and then power off. Other times it will shut down just fine doing the exact same thing or running dozens of other programs, so I don't think it's an issue of something not terminating properly. Odd, eh?