no display and beeping coming from cpu

Thread: no display and beeping coming from cpu

no display and beeping coming from cpu

hi, a couple of days ago i built my first computer, and unsurprisingly it didnt work. all that happens is three beeps come stops and another 3 beeps. everything else is working,cd drives working fans working but there is no display.

i went on www.bioscentral.com but i couldnt find what my beep meant. is there any other way i can figure out what the problem is??

here are my specs:

motherboard: Asus P4P800-X
    processor: P4 3.06GHZ
    ram: 512MB/DDR400/PC3200
    Video card: nvidea geforce FX5200 128mb/directX 9.0/AGP 8x
    cd drive: asus 52x
    Floppy drive: unknown

i am open too any suggestions

I think that motherboard is running an AMI BIOS. Here's some explanations:
    http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml#ami You may have a memory or video card problem (hopefully something easy like improper seating!)

The BIOS for this motherboard is an AFUDOS Bios (chinese, I think), don't know much about it, but this series was used by ASUS. Check their website for more info on it.

Some of the possibilities are:

- Do you know about ESD(Electro Static Devices) and proper precautions to protect components?
    - Power supply with a high enough wattage rating (recommend 400+)
    - Remove motherboard from case and test (carefully!!!!!) unistalled. If it works outside, then you did something wrong installing it.
    - Double-check the CPU/socket/pins/fan
    - Try removing all memory, see if the video comes up (you will still get the beeps, usually).
    - Boot without the drive cables plugged in.
    - Bad Bios, check with your vendor first, exhaust all options with them, then bang on the ASUS door.

Forgive me if I try to oversimplify this, and don't take offense if some of the suggestions I offer may seem 'too obvious'.

Be methodical, eliminate each part of the computer, until you are left with the board.

Hopefully, something here will help. If not, like the city bus, another techie will be by soon enough!!!!
    jerryg
    jeradsyn
    A+/MCPx2

thanks jeradsyn, i checked my video card and saw that i hadn't fully pushed it in the socket, i put the monitor back in and it worked, but to no avail as the three beeps still come,i think it might be a memory problem, anyways i will take each hardware out and try to find the problem.