Opinion needed--laptops or desktops - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Opinion needed--laptops or desktops

Quote Originally Posted by Major Kong
    amyb you can't beat a Sager notebook. They are bar none the best. They actually make the Alienware notebooks but for 33% less the price. Check www.sagernotebook.com.
    Yep, Sager Rocks. Form and Function, nothing beats them without being way more expensive. It's all we sell at the office I work at.
    "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine!"

Quote Originally Posted by amyb
    even with a port replicator/docking station? My heart is really set on a laptop.
    Then by all means get one. I've upgraded my desktop as much as I'm going to (dying technologies) and won't be able to afford a new one for the next year and a half when I get out of school. That said, my bro hooked me up with the cash during Christmas to get a laptop and I love it. If that's what you want then get it because you will only be left wanting if you get another desktop.

Well, my husband and I compared Segar with Dell and we could get more with a Dell:

Inspiron 9300
    Intel® Pentium® M 740 Processor (1.73GHz/533MHz FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 Qty: 1
    Unit Price: $2,912.00
    Inspiron 9300 Intel® Pentium® M 740 Processor (1.73GHz/533MHz FSB)

Display 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen XGA+ Display
    17XGA

Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
    1GB2D

Video Card 64MB ATIs™ Mobility Radeon™ X300
    64ATI

Hard Drive 80GB Hard Drive
    80GB

Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
    INTNIC

Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0

CD/DVD Drives 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability
    8XDVDRW

STEP 2: Wireless Networking Card Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
    IP2200

Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft Office Small Business - Includes Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint

Security Software McAfee Security Center with VirusScan, Firewall, Spyware Removal, 15-months

Digital Music Dell Jukebox - easy-to-use music player and CD burning software
    MMBASE

Primary Battery 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (53 WHr)
    6BAT

Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 3Yr Ltd Warr,At-Home Service,and Tech Support plus Nights and Weekends

Digital Imaging Photo Album™ SE Basic
    DPS

Port Replicator Notebook Expansion Dock w/Stand
    APREP1

Miscellaneous Award Winning Service Support

Financial Software No QuickBooks package selected- Includes limited use trial
    QBSSP

QUICKEN 2005 DELUXE Qty: 1
    I get it in about a week. I can't turn back now.
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

very nice specs

Congrats

I hope so. I have worked on Dells via work, this is our first Dell. We have been Gateway people..and since Gateway has gone downhill...

Congrats

I purchased very close to the same config from Dell, and found it to be a very good machine. Have fun with it, and when "they" release the superdooper improved version in two months, don't look back. On mine, the DVD is very easy to change if needed, I fortunately have not needed to. I have a USB floppy drive if needed, thankfully don't. I'll take CD's anyday over floppies.
    Friend of Charon

amen to that (to floppies). Thanks for your input regarding your machine!

Both suck.

Go with a blackberry!

That isnt the kind of language you needed to use monkeyman2, a Blackberry is for an entirely different purpose, amyb wanted a laptop so she got one.
    --

My HP doesnt have a floppy drive too, and who needs one, got thumbdrives, wifi, external caddys. Plus it makes the notebook slimmer.

ditto on that. Well said, as always TechZ.

Wow,.. that is one kick azz Dell notebook! But $3K for a computer? Man,.. I don't care what it has in it, there is no way I'd ever pay that much for ANY computer. Not with how quickly technology moves. But if you can afford it, then go for it. Gratz on the new rig btw.

Oh,.. on second thought: There is ONE computer I'd pay that much for.
    Hello World

3000 is a bit much, but then she's getting all the kit for it, plus its the new Centrino platform, with 2mb cache, and its got a 17" display

WH, I love Alienware pc's, but customize it and it costs the moon. Although the XPS2 has a 6800 Go chipest :drool:

What are you going to use it for? Unless you have a 100% need to travel with the lappie, do youself a favor and build youself the same desktop for a quater of the price IMO.

For $3000 I could build a desktop that's easily 2 times the power of that lappie, plays all the games I want and will last me twice as long, etc.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just being practical.

BTW, The inspiron you posted costs more than a better sager:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/n...9860&SubType=S

17.0" Wide Viewing Angles WSXGA+ Active Matrix LCD with Super Clear Glossy Surface Display
    Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 560 with HT Technology / 3.6GHz (LGA775, 800MHz FSB), 1MB L2 Cache
    1024 MB PC4200 DDR2 (533MHz) memory [ Expandable to 2048 MB ]
    60.0 GB (7200rpm) Ultra DMA Hard Drive
    8X DVD ± R/RW/+DL Combo Drive & Softwares
    12 Cell Smart Li-ION Battery
    TV-Tuner with Remote, Intergrated CMOS Video Camera, Hardware RAID 0 or 1 function, 7-in-1 Card Reader, and Front Panel Audio DJ CD Player
    ATI MOBILITY RADEON X800 / NVIDIA GEFORCE GO 6800 PCI-EXPRESS 16X Module 256MB DDR3
    External 3.5" FDD USB
    Virtual 8 Channel Analog Audio output
    Touchpad with Scrolling Slider
    1 Type II PCMCIA Slot
    Infra Red, Wireless Fast IR interface
    4 USB 2.0 Ports
    2 IEEE-1394a Ports (4 PIN)
    Other Ports: 1 S/PDIF out/Side Speakers out, 1 Line-in/Rear L/R Speakers out, 1 Headphone/Front L/R Speakers out, 1 Microphone in/Center & subwoofer Speakers out, 1 Infrared,1 DVI out port, 1 Parallel, 1 Serial, 1 PS/2, 1 S-Video-Out, 1 S-Video-In, 1 RJ-45, 1 RJ-11
    Additional Features: Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps LAN & V.90 56K Fax/Modem, Optional Internal 802.11g Wi-Fi + Internal Bluetooth Combo Module, 4X DVD±R/RW Drive, 8X DVD±R/RW/+DL Drive.
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Standard Carrying Case
    Auto Switch 110/220V AC Adapter, AC power cord, Multifunction Remote Control, Coaxial Connector, YPbPr/HD-TV Out Dongle, User's Manual, Utility CD
    Dimension (H) x (W) x (D) : 1.95"x15.5"x11.75" Weight: 12.5lbs. with Battery
    One year Parts and Labor Limited Warranty. (2 or 3 year Extended Warranty Plan optional.)

I think you are right, if there is no need for a laptop, for the money involved you can get more by building it yourself as a desktop. I have been through about 7 laptops, and I really like the Dell. Looking at the Sager, it looks good as well. Same money into desktop devices will get you about 4 better devices, but if need a laptop, you don't have that option. I have had to work on most all the prior laptops, upgrades, replacement of part and pieces, they are a PITA for the most part. JMHO.
    Friend of Charon

amyb wanted a laptop so she went and got one, most of the time people get them, not because they need them, but they want one.

That Sager is very good, but its not a Pentium M, its gonna be heavier, less battery life, need more cooling (more than 1 fan for a centrino notebook).

Being practical is a great thing, but then we wouldnt satisfy any of our wants rather than needs