Opinion needed--laptops or desktops
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion needed--laptops or desktops

Opinion needed--laptops or desktops

I am thinking about getting a new computer. I am leaning towards getting a laptop rather than getting another desktop. Just for grins, let me know your pros and cons regarding a laptop vs. a desktop for home use. Thanks.
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

CON: Laptops give you less performance and upgradability for much more money.
    PRO: Carrying a desktop, monitor, keyboard, and mouse while hauling around a generator isn't exactly feasible.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

Buy a laptop only if you really need mobile computing.

They are troublesome nasty little beasts. Their sexy cachet makes them extremely tempting as theft items. They are easily damaged, even the expensive commercial grade ones. They are (relatively) difficult to repair. Other than the hard drives and memory there are few generic parts. The proprietary parts mean that manufacturers have you by the balls. If anything major goes wrong with them when they are out of warranty, they are pretty much write-offs unless you have a line on used parts and the facility to repair them yourself.

Laptops
    Pros: fun, completely portable, quiet.
    Cons: same as what's been posted. No BIOS tweaking.

Since you are mostly locked into your initial selection, shop carefully for which features you want. Doesn't hurt to spend a little extra to maximize future proofing and definitely search for deals from reputable dealers.

You may wish to consider a compromise - a laptop with docking station capabilities. This gives you the best of both worlds - at home/work you dock it and use it as a desktop, when you're ready to leave you un-dock it and become mobile. The cost will be appreciably more than either a standard laptop or a desktop but the capabilities may be worth it for you.

PRO: Laptops dont go off when you have a power failure
    They always come with LCD's

Just dont get one with less that 512mb RAM, and a dedicated video card.
    If you planning on taking it around with you too, a Centrino model is perfect for you, plus the battery life is amazing, and it runs very cool.

Thanks for your opinions. Good idea, rgharper, that's what I will do. First I will do alot of research!!
    Dyslexics of the world..UNTIE!

If you find that laptops with docking stations are too expensive, you can check out inexpensive USB universal port replicators (USB, Ethernet, Serial, Parallel), which perform the same functions as a docking station, except for video connections, all at a much lower cost. Targus and Belkin make models. There are probably others as well. The port replicators work reasonably well. The performance is probably less than what you would get with a docking station. And if you need to connect to a terminal server, particularly one with Citrix, and print to a local parallel printer attached to a replicator, there can be a little grief at times.

Stay away from Sony and Gateway IMHO.

Look at Toshiba and Micron. Good stuff.

Gamer = custom build a desktop system

Budget user = get a cheap proprietary system from Delli or similar

Mobile user = notebook

Media developer = Probably better off with a high performance desktop

Mobile communicator: If you just want email on the go,.. perhaps a blackberry is for you. It also has internet.
    Hello World

Quote Originally Posted by meatwad
    Yeah,.. the best notebook available anywhere bar none. And I would like to point out that it is powered by Intel,.. not AMD.
    Hello World

They will eventually change it to an AMD64 WH, it just is better, we have to admit it.

Dont worry I hate it too, although i'm hoping Intel will do something to trump amd and we can get back to being happy. (its not like theyre total idiots )

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    They will eventually change it to an AMD64 WH, it just is better, we have to admit it.

Dont worry I hate it too, although i'm hoping Intel will do something to trump amd and we can get back to being happy. (its not like theyre total idiots )
    I don't have to admit it. Nobody has shown me any evidence of that. It's apples/oranges so far. However, they do have AMD 64 desktop systems. The notebook is a P4 though. Yeah that's right people,.. P4! Mmm Hmmm. Intel r0x0rz!! 11111

One thing is for sure though,.. they definitely DO NOT use that outdated, always brokening ATI Video,... especially now that we have SLI. Nvidia -- works great with Intel products.

Oh,.. and one last thing -- AMD is just successing Intel because of the trendy AMD 64 fad. Once dual core processors come out,.. they'll all jump back on the Intel bandwagon.
    Last edited by WebHead; April 2nd, 2005 at 05:57 PM.
    Hello World

Quote Originally Posted by WebHead
    I don't have to admit it. Nobody has shown me any evidence of that. It's apples/oranges so far. However, they do have AMD 64 desktop systems. The notebook is a P4 though. Yeah that's right people,.. P4! Mmm Hmmm. Intel r0x0rz!! 11111

One thing is for sure though,.. they definitely DO NOT use that outdated, always brokening ATI Video,... especially now that we have SLI. Nvidia -- works great with Intel products.

Oh,.. and one last thing -- AMD is just successing Intel because of the trendy AMD 64 fad. Once dual core processors come out,.. they'll all jump back on the Intel bandwagon.
    AMD and Intel will start putting dual core parts out at roughly the same time, Q2-Q3 of this year. Dual cores will be a "trendy fad" for at least a year as they will have little to no benefit for the vast majority of users.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams