A Must for Custom Builders - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A Must for Custom Builders

And you're speculating, and casting aspersions that mean nothing. You derived half of what you said by claiming hearsay, not bold-faced fact; because someone “told” you that you were cheaper doesn’t mean squat, and if you haven’t researched the parts or tested them, you’re making empty claims that these parts are less durable. I am basing all of my points on several living breathing benchmarks here in my office from several sides of the fence; plus countless hours of research in both equipment quality and price comparison that the end buyer may not be aware of, yet my recommendations will save money, and provide a kick *** PC.

Have you ever actually priced out a comparable PC from Compaq...
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/.../desktops.html

Just for an example, go to the Presario page, and price out the SR1010Z. For video I usually go to Newegg, and to Crucial for Memory, never upgrade at Compaq prices. Same thing with extra CDR's and DVD drives, If I need anything in addition, I don't mess around with their over priced "upgrades", so what ever your video and memory choice should wash, cause you’d use it in both yours and the Compaq comparison.

Also, free shipping, typically a $50 rebate, and no tax offered by Compaq online. Grant it, my business pays taxes on these type of purchases at the end of the year, but and end homebuyer doesn’t have that requirement.

Then compare prices for what you would be able to build and tell me that you can build it cheaper, and make at least 15%...you can't do it! I guarantee it!!!

And don't forget the time consideration. When I have 30 dell/compaq/hp/emachines waiting for service and I tell the customer he has to wait 4 days to a week to get his computer back, but I get to tell the guy who bought my computer that he can most likely pick it up at the end of the day, who's the happier customer then?

Quote Originally Posted by Ya_know
    How have you determined that they are better? I have several Compaq's from their Presario consumer line, and several from the HP business PC line...extra memory is from Crucial typically...and there is nothing wrong with any of them...I lost one CDROM out of 50+ of these, and the replacement was in my hands the next morning...took 15 minutes on the phone...can you do that? And if so, why would you want to go on a call you can't make money on? If you sell them HP PC's, and you're an authorized seller/servicer, you can charge HP back for your labor to install it if it's an onsite warrantee. They were going to send me a tech the next morning; I declined, and installed it myself. But think of it, you won't make your typical hourly rate, but at least if something goes wrong, you don't have to RMA the drive, HP will take care of that, and you get paid something for your troubles. Can't do that with white box, no matter how you try to justify it...
    For large corporations, you're 100% right. Gotta go with the big manufacturers.

The PC's I consider crap at my home surpass the PC's we have here from Dell, Compaq and HP that have double the listed specs. For business aps alone, the big companies are fine,but for a lot of other stuff I'm blown away how a 5 year old machine I have still performs as well as what we give to our people to work on here that's coming out of the box brand new.

Of course our brand new is the crappies Dell you can get.....