Bluetooth H!!!

Thread: Bluetooth H!!!

Bluetooth H!!!

I have a client with a toshiba satellite pro, XP home edition, 512MB ram, 1.4GHZ intel, Belkin bluetooth usb adapter, trying to connect to a hp (ipaq) pocket pc 6315 with bluetooth. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software for the belkin usb bluetooth and still keep getting the same error. "could not open the Bluetooth ACPI device driver (tosrfec.sys). Try again?"

I have searched the web for a resoulutin to this problem and have been unable to find any resolution for this problem. Does anyone have a solution to this so I can get the laptop connected to the pocketg PC? TIA

Hey Zonie

Are you running XP sp1 or sp2? Way way back I set up a bluetooth mouse/keyboard on an XP sp1 box and I'm pretty sure I remember using WindowsUpdate to get the bluetooth support.

Running XP SP1, however this has to do with the Toshiba file.

I know you're dealing with Belkin and XP SP1. Consider applying SP2. One thing to note about SP2 is its feistiness with BT. I recently dealt with it and a D-Link USB BT adapter. Here's their solution: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dbt120_...e_winxpsp2.pdf
    Kind regards,
    Sam
    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
    Visit www.pciam.com for home and small business
    computer setup, maintenance, repair and more.
    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Toshiba has available for download an updated bluetooth stack...which requires SP2 to be installed. That says right there it's gotta be a newer version of the stack than what you currently have installed.

They also have a download for a bluetooth monitor utility. Supposedly, if you uninstall your current bluetooth stack, have this utility installed, you can then install SP2 and use the bluetooth stack that MS built into the service pack.

In both cases the lastest Toshiba software requires SP2. Kinda makes you wonder, eh?

Make sure you're free of spyware should you decide to try the upgrade

bluetooth
    Hello World

Welllll, this puts a real twist in the pretzel. My client has so many programs and data this is going to be a nightmare to back up. I would not consider even applying the SP2 without wiping out and starting fresh. I have seen too many PC's zapped from SP2 even though they are "CLEAN". Most of the data will not be too hard to backup except for the PST file which is a little over 1GB. I will have to look into CD Creator 6.0 and see if it will span cd's.

I have installed SP2 on dozens of machines without a single problem yet. I still backup important data before doing so. But SP2 does fix a lot of bluetooth problems.

Apart from the fact the end user should have regular backups imaging the disk using Ghost or similar products is probably the easiest solution.

That is the plan I had in mind is to ghost the drive just in case murphy shows up.