Reg. the Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

Thread: Reg. the Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

Reg. the Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

(I am at my wit's end over this, so I hope that if my post seems to abrasive, it won't deter anyone with some intel! Sorry...)

I have had a link to this site for a long time, since this forum was one out of a 'handful' of site's, giving any input on this "Adapter"...

Now, I have tried it all - including the instructions that were specified in the previous thread on this topic, given in December by 'Stebie'. - No luck..

Here, I've provided some info. on the miniport adapter which I've accumulated lately. (As well as how it's affected me.)

- This problem seems to affect '1 out of 1000' - and it seems to have something to do with NDIS protocol, and whether a person is behind a ['particular'..?] NAT, etc... (As mentioned in [a few] of links below - vaguely..)

- I have 'ICS' - and I should have absolutely no problems - in a few - little extra add-ins during my Windows installation... Nonetheless, no matter 'which' configuration I've tried - it 'will' appear sooner or later. I see no connection!

- This problem follows me where-ever I go... Meaning, I 'just' bought a new computer so I could overcome this problem, and start working again. This new computer has a new Nic - and I've pretty much covered the gamut in trying most nic's out there...
    But [as of yesterday] - I find it 'right' there in the device driver after I notice that the packet transfer's are ridiculously slow. This happened last night, 'right after I reformatted!' (This is my 'fourth' re-format in a week because of this 'adapter'... Software starts to dissipate soon afterwards...)

P.S. - This problem is not exclusive to SP2 - as I've been dealing with it for 'years' now. Please!? Any help available? I'm at the point that I can't even say that I won't do 'anything' to solve this problem!
    ---------------------------------------------
    Subject: Tun miniport adapter #2
    By: Sam
    In: microsoft.public.windowsupdate

am running Win XP Pro on networked machine as host of ICS. Downloaded update 886185, and immediately lost internet connection on this unit. I immediately uninstalled the update, but still have not been able to regain connectivity.

The Client...
    etc, etc.

---------------------------------------------
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1063971316

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/sh...5893#post225893

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...eredo.mspx#EBAA

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815768/

- - - - - - - - -

1. The IPv6-only Host sends a packet to the Teredo Client. Due to the routing infrastructure of the IPv6 Internet, the Teredo-addressed packet is forwarded to the nearest Teredo relay.

(I am 'familiar' with 'Teredo' - and have had to un-install him and his 'IPv6' cousins a numerous amount of times..)

Thanks much.

O-kay...

(Fine! I 'understand'... )

But, am I getting warmer here...

NDIS Structures

...or

NDIS - Objects

...what!?
    Miniport - commands in side-bar

[HR]
    [BR]
    And... If you look higher up on the tree of links - it seems to re-instate my seemingly 'hallucinated' ideas about the affects of this adapter to be pretty valid... oui or niet?

Win32 and COM

The problem lies in the fact that it looks like you have to learn WinHEC or Visual/C# programming to take care of all this sh!te...
    Last edited by ambi; May 1st, 2005 at 03:30 PM. Reason: More info.

First off, I don't claim to be a networking expert by any means but hopefully I can offer some assistance. Please post what NAT device/router you are using and whether you are part of a LAN or just simply sharing an internet connection. After reading a little bit it seems that your NAT device may be inherently incapable of a proper 6 to 4 (IPv6 to IPv4) translation. Another possibility is your software firewall blocking UDP transmissions. Yet another possibility lies in whether you are just sharing an internet connection or whether you are networked and the network is utilizing the same internet connection. Solutions would involve trying one at a time: using a different router and researching its capabilities beforehand, trying a different firewall or configuring the one you are using to allow UDP, and creating/dissolving your LAN to access the internet. Hopefully, someone who is more knowledgeable in this area will jump in and maybe give you better guidance.

Many-many thanks, sincerely...

I have poured my 'guts' out to 'masses' in groves..

'Including' my 'school-director' - from where I received Microsoft training as well!

As experienced as he was, 'THIS' was the advice he offered:

- "You need to resolve this issue, 'Immediately'."

- "Have you ever even 'heard' of this 'miniport adap..."

- "Nope. Haven't.. Well!? I gotta go." ('click')

Well, as of 'now' - I do in fact have the tell-tale signs which indicate (in 'part') my propensity towards the 'mini tun adapter' - at least, according to the "articles" that I've read on the subject...

So, let me be more specific. - In the 'Device Manager', adjust the settings to 'Show Hidden Devices' - in 'View' [in the menu bar... 'etcetera'].

Listed under 'Non Plug and Play Drivers' shows three devices:

1) NDIS system driver

2) NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol and...

3) NDIS Proxy
    - This - the 'only one' I could disable without causing problems for my system to boot. The others? Well... If you try? Do an 'install-over' is all I would/could advise!

As for my NIC? (ouch!) - It's a

Realtek RTL8168/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Thanks again Duke!
    Last edited by ambi; May 8th, 2005 at 04:22 AM.

Check 'this' out!!

I found a 'nest'

My 'second' minport adapter self-installed itself this evening!

I decided to do the 'control set' tun-removals...

But after noticing that the 'Current Control Set' was void of this folder once again, I scrolled further down...

Roaches everywhere!

I want to pull these cavaties 'out!' - Which ones can I pull [safely], and where/ when can I start?

- I know that in Device Manager - the 'only' NDIS component you can disable without crashing your system, is the one labeled 'proxy'... So, which ones can I obliterate, hmmm?!?!?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ambi; May 9th, 2005 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Link color - not noticeable...