Web site help
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Web site help

Web site help

I want a simple little web site with a site builder, I know as much about html as I do women, guest book and counter and all the little goodies and I want my site address to read whatever I want it to read such as www.mysite.com when published on the web not www.mysite.tripod.com. These people are trying to advertise off a site I pay for and I don't want there name on it. I just want to addvertise a simple little site. I will pay to do so.

For a domain registrar, I've heard www.godaddy.com is the way to go
    For a host, www.hostrocket.com is also the one to go for.

If you get your own domain, but just dont want to pay for hosting, try
    http://100webspace.com/
    I use them and they are great, not much space (100mb), but for a simple site like mine its not an issue.

Lots of these places offer a site template you can work off of, and HTML isnt that hard to learn, a few tutorial sites, and you can do alot with basic codes and some HTML editor app.

I'm a little confused with this web building stuff. I have been building a web site at tripod and its free and when I publish it and it shows you where it is located it says something like http://mywebsite.tripod.com and that is the way you have to type it in. Is this because the site has not been promoted yet and publishing it will not have the www on it. I do not want to publish it really and I don't want there name on it either. I just want to put the site on my business card so people can relate to it and most of the time when people put a address in the address bar they will put www and that will not bring up my site. I'm really new to this.

you will have to pay for the name you want for example, mysite.com or mysite.org. this is called registering a domain, and godaddy.com as suggested is one of the cheapest places to register the name. places like Tripod are free and offer what are known as Subdomains, that is why tripod is in the address of your website. after you register the name you want you will need a place to host your site. this is another monthly cost. tripod and most other free hosts will place there ad banners or popups on your site. if you find a good paid host you wont have to deal with someone elses ads on your site. HERE is a good place to start.

At Tripod I payed for there service and was given a Domain name and 5 subdomain names but for some reason there TRIPOD still was in my web address. I wrote them and the said it was not in the domain name. Duh, I knew that. I don't want them on my web addy. I also can't put www in front of the addy and get anythng to pop up. Only time anything will come up is with http://myaddy.tripod.com. There name stays there no matter what you do and where is the www. I only ask this because most people will put the www in when trying out your web site and it will bring up nothing. All I wanted is a simple little site the when someone want to look at it the type in www.mywebsite.com. Now I believe I have registered domain names out there because if I go somewhere else and try to register my name it says its allready taken even though I canceled with tripod. Nice work I did. Now I messed it all up. Hehehe. I probably have a few domain names out there now. Cunfusing at the moment.
    Last edited by Kodiak; May 4th, 2005 at 02:16 PM.

Personalize your website with a FREE domain name, subdomains and custom e-mail!
    FREE Domain Name 5 Subdomains
    No Ads 5 POP E-mail Accounts
    FREE Weblog Tool CGI/PERL Support
    50 MB of Disk Space Website Reports
    10 GB of Monthly Bandwidth

That is what I signed up for at tripod. $8.95 a month. Should I get a www.mysite.com along with this or not or can they still add there tripod on there?

yes you should be able to type in www.mysite.com and see your site as long as you have an index.html file in your root directory. even mysite.com should work. how long has it been since you signed up? btw...what is your real site address?

Real site name is http://kodiak97141.tripod.com I know it is just me more then likely and in need of some training. I have since canceled my subscription with them. When I registered with them the name cuttingedgecomputers.com was available and now it is not. I have tried with other sites you people have suggested. It looks like these other deals you people suggest are much better then tripod, yes? I do know the domain name cecsllc2005.com is not taken so I will go with that if I have to. I want to register the domain, find a host but not promote it on the web for the world to see. I do not need a global web site, only for people in my community that recieve my business card with the addy, www.cecsllc2005.com on it. Tripod or any other web host site has no business advertising there name on a site I pay for. If I didn't pay for it fine. Now what would be the best site for a noob like me. I don't want to go into html, just a simple site builder will do. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Kodiak; May 4th, 2005 at 05:01 PM.

godaddy.com is the one i'd recommend for registering your domain. Then go to hostrocket.com for hosting and youre all set, mostly all the hosting services will have a site builder available, yahoo also has a hosting service that has site building features. In the end its up to you to choose.

I checked on godaddy, the domain you want (http://www.cecsllc2005.com/) is still available, best register it.

I went to www.davesite.com and went ahead and joined globat and what a mistake that was. You have to learn html to do anything with it. The site give you the globuild web builder but there templates suck. Only way to get it the way you want it is to learn html and alter it. Well I guess I did get my site registered but now to figure out how to go elsewhere and use it. Like I said, I'm totaly new at this. I guess I should of stuck with tripod since there templates give you a lot of options.

Grab a dreamweaver trial download.....use one of their templates or find one online using a site such as http://www.htmlgoodies.com for assistance. It is easy and if you are stuck there is assistance here.

There are a few great hosts around and the one I have used for years is cheap and also contains website builders to make it simple

http://www.2globalmart.com
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

Its funny how they say there web builder tool is so good and easy to use then they give you templates that suck to work with. Tripod is very east to use and has many places to put text where you want it and such. This is my current site
    http://kodiak97141.tripod.com and I like it other then the fact that I do not want there name in the addy and I want to be able to just put www.cecsllc2005.com and go to that site. Thats all. I can also add photos to any page on that site real easy with no html knowledge.
    Last edited by Kodiak; May 5th, 2005 at 04:35 PM.

If I were you, I would just dump everything and go with hostrocket. That's who I go through and they are so easy. They even have a site builder included if you don't want to hassle with HTML. And they are only like 6 bucks a month. Basically with Tripod they are just giving you a subdomain even though you *think* you are signing up for an actual domain. If you sign up at HR, they register a domain name for you, point it for you and then your good to go pretty quick. You can use their site builder or upload your own files. You can even have two domain names for like 8bucks a month if you want. For instance, I have:

- www.mysite.com

- I also have www.myothersite.com. The way this works, is they register a second domain name, create a subdomain "myothersite.mysite.com" and then point the DNS so that it all works out.
    Hello World

I believe I can't back out of the domain registration with globat but I can get rid of them as the host. So now all I need to do is figure out how to go about having hostrocket host the site. Hopefully there site builder and templates are good.

The paragraphs at your site are also strait up and down and only seperated by hitting enter if you know what I meam.

Go here and look. This is what I want to do with a simple web builder. http://kodiak97141.tripod.com/ Look at this page where the paragraphs are seperate from each other and in different places.