Typical error, another day...event id: 1000

Thread: Typical error, another day...event id: 1000

Unhappy Typical error, another day...event id: 1000

I have been all over a ton of forums and help files about this stupid error:

Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. Return value (59).

And I have yet to find a very clear, straightforward answer on how to get rid of it. My server runs Win 2k Pro Svr, and everything runs fairly smooth. My website is hosted on it, and have no problems, my shares work fine (I can see my network computers, and they can see the others and the server), yet I keep getting this error. There may be help files that I have read that work fine, but people will just say "do this and that should fix it". I need to know where I have to go in the menus to find the options that need to be tweaked in order to get rid of the error, since I dont know the ins and outs of every little module of my OS. Can someone please help me on this? Thanx in advance.

Hi Toon, welcome to windrivers...

Check your time on all servers/PC's had this same error at a customer site and the PC's and 1 server were different, the time sync was not working correctly. Once sorted the errors went away.

I also had problems with file/printer sharing until I sorted it.
    "Today is a Gift, thats why they call it the present"

The time as already synched and working fine, as well as the printers.

Quote Originally Posted by Toon
    I have been all over a ton of forums and help files about this stupid error:

Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. Return value (59).

And I have yet to find a very clear, straightforward answer on how to get rid of it. My server runs Win 2k Pro Svr, and everything runs fairly smooth. My website is hosted on it, and have no problems, my shares work fine (I can see my network computers, and they can see the others and the server), yet I keep getting this error. There may be help files that I have read that work fine, but people will just say "do this and that should fix it". I need to know where I have to go in the menus to find the options that need to be tweaked in order to get rid of the error, since I dont know the ins and outs of every little module of my OS. Can someone please help me on this? Thanx in advance.
    do you have a DNS record for resolution of your server name?

Is the nic configuration on your server set to point dns back to localhost (or the dc)?
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Im looking at the dns config for my server. There is a forward lookup record, but nothing in the reverse lookup.

Im looking at the dns config for my server. There is a forward lookup record, but nothing in the reverse lookup.
    try adding the reverse, also check the nic configs.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

How do I add one? Also, where does it display the nic configs? Thanx

How do I add one? Also, where does it display the nic configs? Thanx
    google.....
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Im actually looking for someone to actually explain this. Ive been all over the internet, and various things, and too often people elsewhere say the same thing. If these are techie boards, shouldnt someone be a techie, and know the answer instead of pointing them to go somewhere else? Im sure someone here knows how to stop the error, and if it is reverse lookup, how to get that setup to stop the error.

Im actually looking for someone to actually explain this. Ive been all over the internet, and various things, and too often people elsewhere say the same thing. If these are techie boards, shouldnt someone be a techie, and know the answer instead of pointing them to go somewhere else? Im sure someone here knows how to stop the error, and if it is reverse lookup, how to get that setup to stop the error.
    there is also an expectation of knowledge. people who run windows 2003 with active directories is not your average joe. It's expected that you know the basics of the operating system and how to configure the basics.

I'm pointing out where the mistakes are more then likely going to be, I'm not going to put on a teachers hat and walk you through everything step by step. I don't know about other people, but i'm here to help with problems, not hold hands.

I do apologize if my comments offend you.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

No offense taken. But a few months ago I did research the whole reverse lookup thing, and found no tutorials that explained it clearly enough. I do have a basic knowldge of the OS, otherwise I wouldnt have been able to run a website on its IIS (now Apache) and had no problems with it before. Now this error arises, and even my 2000 server book doesnt explain the reverse stuff clearly enough. I just need someone who has a few minutes to explain the process so I can punch it out here.

No offense taken. But a few months ago I did research the whole reverse lookup thing, and found no tutorials that explained it clearly enough. I do have a basic knowldge of the OS, otherwise I wouldnt have been able to run a website on its IIS (now Apache) and had no problems with it before. Now this error arises, and even my 2000 server book doesnt explain the reverse stuff clearly enough. I just need someone who has a few minutes to explain the process so I can punch it out here.
    Google turned up the following for DNS tutorial.

http://www.pygmalion.com/training/Wi...rtWorkshop.pdf

has for the DNS IP address it's the same as in XP
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

So, if Im using 2000, the 2003 guide wouldnt have a different explanation than from what my version would allow?

So, if Im using 2000, the 2003 guide wouldnt have a different explanation than from what my version would allow?
    i had assumed you where on 2k3, 2k for DNS is essentialy the same.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans