Transfer to new PC

Thread: Transfer to new PC

Talking Transfer to new PC

OK I used to do this all the time but unfortunately I have been out of loop for a while now.
    System is running Window XP Pro--I am transferring all data from this PC to a new one (also Win XP Pro). I can not remember how to backup email messages from Outlook Express so that I can transfer them to the new system.
    Also, I want to upgrade this user to start using Outlook instead of Express. I know I can import from Express to Outlook so I figured I would just back up the data and install into Express on the new system and then import is from Express into Outlook. Is there an easier or better way to do this?
    It is good to be back in the forum again----always fun to read what is going on here.
    Thanks for any help!

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    File and settings transfer wizard should do all that for you, or to get to the store location, it will be located at:

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{B9B9F1BB-CC3B-4C8D-97B1-C6B38A6E5FC2}\Microsoft\

The big string in red will be something different, as well as the user name, but in that Microsoft folder, copy the entire Outlook Express folder, and you'll get all the folders from Outlook Express.

The address book will be stored at:

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

Or just do a search for *.dbx files. They contain all Outlook Express Email data. Be sure to copy the account settings because they will have to go back in manually.

Smile

One thing what version of outlook are you using 2000 or 2003?? Because you can get the mail to export to outlook, the address book in outlook express will not work. If you need the address book in outlook express to be used by outlook your going to have to convert it into a csv file and then import it that way into outlook 2003. If your running 2000 then their shouldnt be a problem and this is all moot. Good luck