Power Supply Beep

Thread: Power Supply Beep

Power Supply Beep

I'm putting together a new desktop, but when I turn on the power switch on the back of the comp. (without turning the machine on) there is a beeping, I believe coming from the power supply. Powering up the machine from the front switch does not work. Thanks in advance for the help.

You want to tell us the specific make and model MoBo and Case/PSU? If this is a P4, do you have all of your power connectors attached correctly to the MoBo?

Have you tried a different Power Supply just to see if things work?

What is the beep code? is is just a single long beep that repeats, is is a few short beeps? Knowing this information will shed some light on the problem.

The beep is pretty quiet, constant, and high pitched. I don't even think it's a beep code, however, but rather something electrical because it happens before I even attempt to power the system up. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by gduboff; May 20th, 2005 at 10:37 AM. Reason: mistype

It may well be a power supply problem. Not good enough for the load. When you first apply power to the supply, switch on the back or AC cord being plugged in, you are really turning it on. It then supplys voltage to the +5 volts internal and waits for the "power on signal" from the mother board. You can verify whether it is the mother board or the supply by jumpering two pins on the ATX connector of the power supply without it being plugged on to the motherboard.

short pin 13 and pin14 of the 20 pin connector on the power supply.

If the power fan continues running when you short the two pins on the connector, then the power supply is not the problem and you should check your motherboard or other components.

If the fan does not run or stopped by itself , then the power supply could be bad. You should contact retailer for an RMA.

Here's the URL for it.<G>

http://www.rosewill.com/faq/view.asp...oduct&FaqId=53

Just because a PSU starts when the appropriate pins are shorted does not mean the power supply is good. Voltages can be out of spec enough that the machine won't run even if the power supply starts and stays on.

Pretty sure you have a bad power supply, or one with a bad fan; which amounts to the same thing. Please, please don't tell me you succumbed to the lure of price and bought some cheap case! Look, when you buy a case, about 85% of the money goes for the power supply and you get the sheet metal and plastic almost free. Don't believe me? Take a look at say, http://newegg.com/ and compare the relative prices of cases and the power supply they ship with.

Quality differentials in power supplies are huge, and you pretty much get what you pay for. Antec, Enlight, Inwin are all high quality cases with excellent power supplies.