Arcserve Tape Library install problem on NW6

Thread: Arcserve Tape Library install problem on NW6

Arcserve Tape Library install problem on NW6

Hello All

I know its been a long time, but I need some help!!! - Please any help!!!

I have Arcserve 11.1 for NetWare installed on my NW6 server. After having major issues on how to assign media to the media pools, I got the backups running.

But, I have a Compaq 20/40 8 tape autochanger and when trying to install the Tape Library add-on, it tells me that there is NO Tape Library available to be installed. I have tried all the suggestions I could find from the CA website, but not really any help with my problem...

Any help would be appreciated...I'm a desperate man -

Thanx.
    HoNda's NeVeR dIe ThEy JusT gO faSteR!!!

Sadly, the best solution I've seen lately for most ArcServe problems is to get rid of ArcServe and get Backup Exec.

In my computer career, no piece of software has been more miserable, troublesome, irritating, and picky as ArcServe. No contest (although CallWare comes awfully close)

I'm currently running ArcServe 9.0 on a Netware 5.1 server and let's just say it's a relief each morning to see that the backup completed without issues. It's also a huge relief when I test the backup each week and I can view all the files in the database and restore any of them without trouble. It's to the point where I will avoid making any changes to the way ArcServe is setup and configured just so I don't risk screwing something up.

I wish I had real advice for you instead of this hopeless rant.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    Sadly, the best solution I've seen lately for most ArcServe problems is to get rid of ArcServe and get Backup Exec.

In my computer career, no piece of software has been more miserable, troublesome, irritating, and picky as ArcServe. No contest (although CallWare comes awfully close)

I'm currently running ArcServe 9.0 on a Netware 5.1 server and let's just say it's a relief each morning to see that the backup completed without issues. It's also a huge relief when I test the backup each week and I can view all the files in the database and restore any of them without trouble. It's to the point where I will avoid making any changes to the way ArcServe is setup and configured just so I don't risk screwing something up.

I wish I had real advice for you instead of this hopeless rant.
    Dude, don't worry - we had Backup Exec and it was no better - it kept abending my NW6 server, while trying to just get a backup job to be scheduled. I tried all sorts of patches, but to no avail, it just kept crashing my server. So, yes, no backup solution is fullproof, but I think I know what my problem is.

The changer.nlm is loaded, but I might have the Device Manager configured incorrectly for the auto changer to work properly. So, I will keep faffing, until I get it right - thats just me, the never say die attitude!!!

But, on a positive note - I reverted back to my Nero Backup strategy - which does backups of all my volumes, except for my GroupWise PO, which is 34Gb big...if only I can back that up - it will be the perfect solution. I then write the data to DVD Data disc for hard copies. It is a simple solution that works well!!

Thanx for the Rant and keep well!!

HoNda's NeVeR dIe ThEy JusT gO faSteR!!!