Comet Collision - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Comet Collision

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Rezin
    I'm more worried about the physicists' making mini black holes when the Large Hadron Collider goes online. They say they'll evaporate but there's about a 1 in 10,000 chance that one will swallow the planet. People win lotteries on worse odds than that.
    Tiny black holes. Gravity is a factor of mass and these things will have an infintessimal amount of that. These artificial black holes will likely produce as much gravity as your average molecule of air. Hell, in all likelihood, the event horizons created by these black holes will be smaller than any atoms available for them to consume.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by El_Squid
    And now Nasa is being sued: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8474735/
    $300 million worth of emotional distress? Deformed horoscope? If I had not read this was happening in Russia, I would have sworn it had to be an American phenomenon. Democracy is taking root in Russia for sure!
    One forum I read said it was just a case of her karma running over her dogma!!! I like that!!!
    Friend of Charon

Someone really has been reading/ watching too much SF & religious fundamentalism
    In my opinion, we are in this universe, and we should make the most out of it, while preserving it for future generations. If this means smashing up a peice of space junk to help find out where we have come from, we should do this, rather than seeking to hide behind the religions and perceptions that limit what we believe we can do.

-Leezer-

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger
    Mankind's very nature is to poke things with sticks. It is how we make progress.
    Absolutely, yes! We monkey boys and girls are a curious bunch, which is why we are now at the top of the food chain and not the Neanderthals. (The secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!)

If anything is going to "get" us, its going to be our poking around with the genetic structure of things. It has become too easy to do, and all it would take is some sloppy lab technique for some really awful diseases to be unleashed upon our hairy little heads. Probably would not kill us all off, but it would be very unpleasant.
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

If anythings going to get us, it's likely to be us.

BTW Jaxson..congrats, yet another mature well thought out argument you made to my comments, so pleased that it raised such a deep intelligent response from you.

My comments were food for thought and after the way man has damaged so much in his pursuit of knowledge, not to far off the present ballgame.

Control on this planet comes from those who wield the biggest guns. We split the atom and dropped the bomb in the name of progress, was that sensible for the longevity of man?

Having the tools for ones own destruction in ones hands is not a new concept, suicide would be as old a profession as prostitution I am sure. But to kill oneself with a big gun is one thing, to kill innocent others in that pursuit is something entirely different.

I didn't really think that the planet would b destroyed from this latest folly, otherwise I wouldn't have been lazing away on a beach by any means the day it happened, What i do worry about is the use of the technology now that it in the hands of "The Progress and Knowledge Committee"

What I would like is for the people to see that sometimes "progress" can actually take us steps backwards in our development as a race and towards peace between everyone that has to live out their lives on this planet and for the future generations.
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

Eh.....we get to spend 10 million to add some more elements to the periodic table.
    Sofa King Retarded

Oh, BTW. I live in Texas too so please notice the contast between Jaxson and I. I say this so people do not make assumptions about people from Texas based on Jaxsons behavor.
    Sofa King Retarded

Bah Bracius .... I've never made the assumptions cept i can't imagine you wearing a JR Ewing hat...I do imagine you have the cutest drawl though...............

Quote Originally Posted by Mayet
    We split the atom and dropped the bomb in the name of progress, was that sensible for the longevity of man?
    Haven't been many world wars or nukes dropped on people since then, so I'd say it seems to have worked decently. The destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasakai almost undoubtedly preserved far more lives than it consumed. I suggest you read about the fall of Saipan to discover what conquering Japan and ending the Second Big Mistake would have been like if we had relied on only conventional means.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Mayet
    If anythings going to get us, it's likely to be us.

BTW Jaxson..congrats, yet another mature well thought out argument you made to my comments, so pleased that it raised such a deep intelligent response from you.

My comments were food for thought and after the way man has damaged so much in his pursuit of knowledge, not to far off the present ballgame.

Control on this planet comes from those who wield the biggest guns. We split the atom and dropped the bomb in the name of progress, was that sensible for the longevity of man?

Having the tools for ones own destruction in ones hands is not a new concept, suicide would be as old a profession as prostitution I am sure. But to kill oneself with a big gun is one thing, to kill innocent others in that pursuit is something entirely different.

I didn't really think that the planet would b destroyed from this latest folly, otherwise I wouldn't have been lazing away on a beach by any means the day it happened, What i do worry about is the use of the technology now that it in the hands of "The Progress and Knowledge Committee"

What I would like is for the people to see that sometimes "progress" can actually take us steps backwards in our development as a race and towards peace between everyone that has to live out their lives on this planet and for the future generations.
    WHAT????
    You've got to be kidding me!!!
    The "progess and knowledge committee"?
    So, now you're paranoid,too....?
    Yeah May, it's all a global conspiracy. "Andromeda Strain" anyone???
    And Jaxson was being fecitious/sarcastic. No need to denegrate him!!

btw: think about it for a minute: we DO have a long way to go, but if it wasn't for "PROGRESS"; Doctors would still be sticking leeches on your breast trying to exorcise your demons and cure your ills.
    Also, damnit: you're absolutely right jaeger....
    It's sad but true that sometimes might truely is right...

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger
    Haven't been many world wars or nukes dropped on people since then, so I'd say it seems to have worked decently. The destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasakai almost undoubtedly preserved far more lives than it consumed. I suggest you read about the fall of Saipan to discover what conquering Japan and ending the Second Big Mistake would have been like if we had relied on only conventional means.

Jae since the second world war there has been many nuke testing that has damaged the environment, just look at Maralinga in South Australia and Muraroa Atoll along with your own Nevada test sites. Many people have suffered the affects of these tests and it is now known of the damage nuke testing has on people exposed to it.

In Russia we have Chernobyl, a deadly time bomb, hundreds of kilometres of wasteland, children born with deformities and worse.

In the middle East countries we have the same deformities and birth defects from the use of depleted uranium in weapons.

No it never worked decently at all. This planet has suffered badly due to mankinds race for nuclear supremacy.

Tripler, *sigh, I see your back.... what can i say :butt: :butt: :butt: :butt:

and really Tripler, scientists are just realising that leeches do have a place in medicine along with maggots even especially for removing dead tissue from around wounds to stop gangrene and on blood clots and other bleeding disorders.
    Last edited by Mayet; July 8th, 2005 at 11:45 PM.

Hi there,

Somehow, with events here on Earth, whatever human touch will be screwed over and everything mess up. Some scientists suppose that comets carries the building blocks of life (like a fragment crash down, giving the molecules that needed to start off life). Since that comet is prettu much untouch up to now, we send something to crash it there, contaminating it with who knows what (metal, organic materials, whatever) and pretty much ending the circle of life in space.

It's the end of all things...

Ju Leon...
    Otaku Anime Network
    http://www.otakuanime.com/

Guardian Of The Sailor Scouts Universe
    http://www.guardiansenshi.net/

The Sailor Scouts Gallery
    http://www.kawaiisenshi.com/