Will Norton ever fix their bugs? Do they even care? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Will Norton ever fix their bugs? Do they even care?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    I just had a really strange thought
    Why doesnt ClickToSurf fix the bug in the software he wrote for his customers?
    Or does he even care?
    Why is he blaming it on Norton?
    Didnt he write the software?
    Thousands of other pieces of software have to deal with NIS and a host of other different firewalls.
    Beleive me if it was a bug in my software it would have been fixed years ago, I'm really sick of the ***** on these boards blaming mcirosofts and now nortons bugs on me, it was right here on this very forum that it was confirmed by many that the bug is in norton.

If you're jelous of my successful business **** up, don't try to make my product look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Matridom
    You know, I've done my fair share of programming, and i've always taken upon myself to "idiot" proof the application. That means i make it work no matter what. On average, about 1/4 to 1/2 of my code is to prevent Joe Bloe from doing something stupid, so that means testing it on odd configurations, trying to break it, and in general causing hell for the app to debug it.

Clickhere, since you wrote the program to connect to the internet, you then have to deal with other applications. I'm sure that if i installed NIS and downloaded your application (not that i have nor want either) i'm sure i can figure a way to make it work. Once i know EXACTLY what is causing the issue, i would then take the steps to work around the "supposed" bug in NIS.

I mean, seriously, people get an app, they want it to work, you are responsible for the app. So rather then complain about how Symantec can't get their act together, why don't you reprogram your app to work around the "bug" in NIS, if you can ID the bug, then symantec may be more willing to talk to you. Maybe this "bug" is standard working for NIS and you wrote a bad program?

Either way, you'll be a better programmer for solving the issue and learning hwo to deal with problem then complain about other people doing a piss poor job on theirs.
    I REALLY would love to fix it, it would save me hours of work per week explaining how to uninstall norton to hundreds of people, but for whoever has Norton, my program does as if there was no internet connection at all, if you're brave enough to install the buggy Norton software on your PC and can find out why itm completely blocks internet access I would pay you since this is wasting hours of time per week.

Also, is it a coincidence that more than half the posts here are users that agree Norton is garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by FireAm94
    Norton went from "best antivirus proggy" on our preventive maintenance list to top on our crap list. When 2003 first came out it would atleast detect viruses. The crap they have out now....the "majority" of the time doesn't even detect simple trojans. It just flat out sucks....BAD. That's not even thinking about the activation bugs and such. I won't even begin to discuss their firewall program as it's not even worth talking about. They really are out of the loop....as of about 2-3 years ago. They've lost ALOT of loyal customers too.
    That's exactly what I tell my customers, that they used to be the best and I used to have Norton, but now it's just probably the largest bundle of bugs you can find. My friend had to remove it since the firewall was always in an endless loop asking if whatever program could connect, even when the option not to ask again is checked.
    Last edited by ClickHere2Surf.com; July 28th, 2005 at 04:16 PM.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    While I'm not in love with Norton and don't usually use NIS; to say that it "completely blocks internet access" is absurd by any stretch of the imagination.

Bottom line is, your software doesn't work with NIS. You have 3 choices:

1. Fix your software so that it can work with NIS, since it is one of the larger internet firewall solutions on the market at the moment. Maybe try contacting NIS and seeing if you can resolve the issue. Plenty of real internet-based software programs work just fine with NIS.

2. Continue to tell people to uninstall NIS so they can get your software to function properly.

3. Continue to rant about it and do nothing.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    don't try to make my product look bad.
    Ferrit did nothing of the such; you are doing that all on your own!

Rest assured, you are not receiving poor advice. I can personally vouch for Ferrit's credibility, as well as almost all of the others who have contributed to your numerous threads here requesting help.

Please do not come here asking for help, then curse the administration when they offer you constructive criticism.

Jealous of your buisness?
    BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it has way too many issues
    Oh gimme a freaking break. I have owned and operated my own successfull buisness for 30 + years in 2 different fields.
    I know customers and I know products
    I use Norton AV on my customers systems all the time
    I do not use NIS it has some significant issues.
    NAV has been consistently at the top of the heap for years.
    Look at the reviews, they dont lie
    So as 3fingersalute said ,
    Fix yer software or hire someone who can .
    Thats the bottom line
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

The biggest joke with Norton Antivirus is that they're too lazy to implement scanning for customers of ISP's that must use SSL POP3 and SMTP email. Norton's official response is to "disable email scanning."

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01091807593406

Ummm, how much effort would it be to implement this?

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    Ummm, how much effort would it be to implement this?
    Well, considering that decrypting a SSL communication is trivial.... Or maybe not.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Jealous of your buisness?
    BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it has way too many issues
    Issues? The oinly issue is caused by Norton. I make several thousands per month and it is the #1 most sold of this type of software, almost every day some user switches from a competitor to my software and then can't stop telling me how much better it is.

Look at the reviews, they dont lie
    I do look at the reviews and its 4/10 ratings and most people saying how buggy it is.

Fix yer software or hire someone who can .
    I'd really like to do that but it's not easy getting around other program's bugs. How am I suposed to get around Norton's firewall? It's made to block connections, but it's also blocking connections that it shouldn't be blocking, and also mnot blocking some that it should (in another thread a Norton user said he had full access to his hard drive through the norton firewall).

If anyone here has any idea how I can get around the Norton firewall I would really like to know.