This device cannot start. (Code 10)...for usb mass storage please??? - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: This device cannot start. (Code 10)...for usb mass storage please???

Re: Code 10 for IR port

Thanks for reply NooNoo. The laptop is an Armada M700. It has a 900MHz processor and around 380Mb of Mem. Yes I have been to the Compaq web site and downloaded everything relevant but there is not an update for the IR driver.

I connect to my local network via ethernet or wireless but it would be really useful if I could use the IR port to upload photo's from my phone. The phone does have a lead that connects via a serial port and a special program but it is not very clever and locked up recently.

The IR port can't be short of PC resources like ints as there are spare ones. As I can't get the port to run at all it is difficult to deduce just what the problem is...
    Bluebeard
    Last edited by Bluebeard; November 24th, 2006 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Missing part of reply.

ok... done some digging, and I found this The operating system is NT, but the principle applies.... the conflict shown here would produce a code 10. I assume that you no longer have the quickbeam software? But there must be a way to configure the IR port... follow the instructions to achieve the port allocations it shows.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I got a similar problem. I've got a deonet external usb hard disk.
    (http://www.deonetbackup.com/products...ckup_box_s.php)
    Worked perfectley for more then a year.. then my pc didn't recognise it for a while (about a week), then it worked fine again (no clue why)
    Now it hasn't been working for some time.. I got the yellow exclamation mark at the device manager.. uninstalling doesn't work, i keep getting Code 10 errors..
    Strange thing is, my friends' external harddisks work fine on my pc, BUT THEY ALL HAVE MY HD's NAME!
    any suggestions?

Welcome to Windrivers duke hugh
    try this The link is to a sticky on the USB forum and sounds like exactly what you need.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    ok... done some digging, and I found this The operating system is NT, but the principle applies.... the conflict shown here would produce a code 10. I assume that you no longer have the quickbeam software? But there must be a way to configure the IR port... follow the instructions to achieve the port allocations it shows.
    NooNoo Thanks very much for your digging. I have had another fool around as a result but sadly things haven't advanced much. The modem was already on COM3 but I tried unenabling it and then uninstalling the IR driver (which forces a reboot). But it didn't change anything. I decided to d/l from Compaq a diagnostic module which produced all sorts of interesting statistics but nothing to do with IR. I would happily disable the modem if it allowed IR to work since I don't need it but it doesn't seem to be in conflict. It seems that the WinXP IR driver is written by SMSC and no I don't have QRCD version. If you get to think of anything else.......??

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers duke hugh
    try this The link is to a sticky on the USB forum and sounds like exactly what you need.
    Thanks, i tried the utility they advised.. but it doesn't list my usb HD..

Then there is a problem with the drive within the casing duke hugh... is it under warranty?

not anymore i guess

Some have 3 year warranties... worth checking!

i will.. thanks.. (so i guess i won't be reaching for my screwdriver just jet :P)

but what if it has warranty? I don't want to lose my data

The data may already be lost... what's the make and model?

Deonet Backup Box S 80 GB
    I don't know the make..

this one?

There doesn't seem to be any mention of any kind of warranty on the website...I suggest you click support then contact us and email them.... see what they say.

It's a 2.5" drive - which is what a laptop uses. To be able to recover the data, you will need to either get a 2.5" usb caddy or a desktop ide 3.5" to 2.5" adapter... and as I said, the drive might be toast anyway.

Thanks for your quick responses.. i have the feeling the data is still there because this has happened before without any damage to the data.. though this time it's been a little longer :P
    would it be possible to put de hd in an old laptop to check?