This device cannot start. (Code 10)...for usb mass storage please??? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: This device cannot start. (Code 10)...for usb mass storage please???

yes... but it would have no operating system... but you could boot the laptop from the floppy or cd and then see if the hard drive spins up and may be access the files too.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

hehe ok.. that will be my last resort..
    btw i got some progress.. tried it on a different pc, first i got the yellow exclamation mark, then i uninstalled it, with a little trial and error until i could reinstall it, WITHOUT the yellow mark.. the pc didn't recognise it though. But now on my own pc, there is no yellow exclamation mark either!? How about that :P

But no access to the files....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Red face Maxtor 32 gives code 10

Sorry to restart this old diiscussion but my friends Maxtor 3200 external hard disk has suddenly stopped wrking - its a week old - and he has put everything on it.
    I have read all of this posting and wondered if you could help. The USB shows as The device cannot start(code 10).

Welcome to Windrivers Mrs T (you don't own a school uniform shop in Coventry do you?)

The first thing your friend should do is try to install it on another computer and if it works, back up the files to dvd or cd, then post again that the drive is proven to work on another computer

If it displays code 10 on a different computer it is quite likely the drive or the electronics connecting the drive has failed. It may still be possible to get the data off the drive, but not guaranteed.

Regardless of how old the drive is, it can still fail. I sincerely hope your friend has got a copy of the data elsewhere... if not, this could be an expensive lesson in making sure you always have two copies of important data.

Error code 10

Hi

Also the cannot start code 10 error. Been using the removable HDD (160gb) for years. Took it home yesterday and plugged it into home desktop. Vigouroesly complained about it not being a hi-speed usb connection. Would not see it anywhere else (other usbs). At the office today, no joy, with above error. reinstalled drivers etc. Could it have damaged something? Interestingly. If I leave it running and reboot the pc, it stops the boot up process? Cheers

Welcome to Windrivers oossie

Yes you could have damaged something. If it stops the boot process, it becomes highly likely. Is the external drive removable from the carrier? You said you had it years... drives tend to fail within a couple of months of purchase then tend to fail when they out of warranty. The only thing you can say about a hard drive is that IT WILL FAIL at some point.

Sorted

Thanx NooNoo (takes me back to those happy years watching Teletuvbbies with the kids)

Problem sorted. I opened the casing and the HDD had shifted slightly. Reseated it and voila, back in business.

Cheers

Glad you got lucky this time... I hope you have that stuff backed up!

Maxtor 3200 - code 10

Thanks for the reply - Sorry for delay but I now have my friend's Maxtor 3200 EHD and I have tried it with every PC I can and all show the same code 10. No he doesn't have another copy of any of his stuff - he was using this as his back up!! Mad fool! Anything else I can try? I have never taken anything apart before.

And no I am not the uniform shop lady

MrsT: NooNoo is/was having difficulty with her ISP - anyway, check this thread out as it does pertain, generally, to your situation (notwithstanding the changed drive letter which is immaterial really):

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...nk&cd=22&gl=ca
    Last edited by CCT; October 19th, 2007 at 03:59 AM.

Back now, any progress Mrs T?

im having the same problem as everyone else here, just in my case im using an 80 gig HDD in an external case, i just bought a new HHD and installed windows XP with SP2, and im getting the yellow ! next to the USB Mass Storage Device, i've tried uninstalling and letting windows plug and play reinstall, but nothing, i also got a 160 gig HDD that i just took out of my computer and tried it in the case and it still had the !, i haven't tired it in another computer yet, got to wait a few days til i get another day off work to get to another computer, any ideas?,

Welcome to Windrivers Recrem

How many of the suggested fixes in this and the sticky threads at the top of the USB forum have you tried?

so far i've tried uninstalling and on another computer, and neither worked, i tried setting the jumper to master and slave, and nothing, i can't see there being anything wrong with the actual HDD itself as i was using them both fine just a few days ago fine, until it formatted with a new HDD, another thing is when the HHD is in the casing and is turned on, then when i restart my computer, the computer freezes, but when i turn off the HDD the start up continues fine,