This device cannot start. (Code 10)...for usb mass storage please??? - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: This device cannot start. (Code 10)...for usb mass storage please???

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    That has got to be the shortest hijack log I have ever seen!

It makes me think you definitely have something. Have you run a thorough scan with MalwareBytes.org antimalware?
    lol is it short?? >.< ummmm well i have malwarebytes program. it doesnt say i have anything :P

I am not totally sure, but shouldn't these 2 entries appear:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\dmadmin.exe

dduhden, did you get it sorted?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Similar Problem

Hi to NooNoo (Noo^2?) and CCT. You have an informative forum here, it is appreciated by many silent people. I am here because I've got a problem similar to one of the posts in this forum, a Maxtor OneTouch III (USB2.0) that has abruptly stopped working.

My own hypothesis is that the drive is physically broken. I dropped it, only six inches or so but it hit sharply on a corner. The glaring ring of leds on the front illuminate when it is plugged in, but the drive makes zero noise. When working, it was annoyingly loud, and the led lights blinked in sequence when it was "thinking." None of this is happening now. It's a paperweight.

The other guy with this general problem, on page 2, you suggested that he update his chipset etc. I have not done this because I'm worried about messing around with motherboard/BIOS stuff that I don't understand, and I'm not sure it's worth it to even try. I will be testing this on another computer as soon as possible (days), but if you'll indulge my anxiety and let me know your thoughts, I appreciate it.
    In particular, how likely is it that I can get the data back? I am willing to bring this to a person who knows what they are doing and give them all my money. Everything I've got is on this drive. I guess I should not open this up myself, huh? I've torn open some stereos thinking I could fix them and been proven totally wrong.

If you think I may be jumping to conclusions about having physically damaged the drive, read on. My attempted solutions have been:

> Panic.

> Unplug, Reboot, Power off/on in every combination on the HP desktop running XP SP3 I usually use it on. It makes an alert noise when I plug in the Maxtor. I checked in device manager and found the drive with a yellow exclamation point and the error message that led me here. Then I tried the uninstall driver / reboot sequence that lets Windows try to fix the driver. This produced an error in a balloon (trouble installing the device) and the Code 10 error is still present in Device Manager.

> Tried plugging it into a Linux netbook I've got. In the past the netbook has told me that the filesystem of the drive was incompatible, and Ubuntu (easypeasy) wanted me to format the drive and switch it from NTF to FAT or vica versa (can't remember) so they would be compatible. Ironically I was getting ready to do that, as well as back up the drive, when I plugged in the Maxtor and found that it had failed. In the past, however, the error message would come up on the netbook when I tried to access the Maxtor. Now, the netbook seems not to recognize it at all. As if nothing was plugged into the USB at all.

> I tested the power source as directed by the Maxtor website (unplug the power source from the drive, LED should blink green if broken) and everything there was fine.

> I have cast several spells.

Should I try updating the chipset? Probably not until I've tested it on another computer. Maybe somebody could just commiserate with me about how much this sucks.

- Trey

Had the same problem with an external hard drive that I was using for storage until I learned that the device had to be set as "master". Worked fine after that.

wtf. I was searching around to figure out how to set an external HD to master, and when I plugged the Maxtor back in, it had undergone spontaneous recovery. When stuff like this happens I'm so torn between relief and being totally pissed off. Any theories as to the cause of the malfunction?

Could it be that the Maxtor is factory set on cable select, and on your first tries your computer chose slave as it's designation?
    After several attempts your computer tried the other option for the device which is master, and it worked. My only other explaination would be simply "magic".

That's what the spells were for.

Trey : USB drives can be very trying at times.

I have 2 identical 60 GB Starlites.

I will plug in and work on both front ports while the other sometimes works on 1 port and always on the other.

Cable problems are frequent. Port problems are less so.

The thing to remember is that the drive isn't welded to the enclosure (normally) so you always have the oportunity of removing the drive and either putting it in another enclosure OR hooking it up to the computer internally using adapters.

I've been messing around with it and I think that some of the problem may have something to do with my habit of ignoring the "safely remove this device" procedure. That was why Linux was refusing to recognize it, at least. I have read, since educating myself on this issue, that ignoring the safely remove device protocol builds up errors on external devices and eventually will lead to their corruption.

BUT, in my case, when the drive failed it was making no noise at all - paperweight status - and then one time when I plugged it in, it randomly and spontaneously started whirring and clicking. Therefore I'd say something is loose inside the enclosure, and it happened to jiggle back into place. This drive is a dead man walking, it could probably fail at any time. I've learned the hard way to back it up from now on.

As a helpful hint to some of those with drive trouble: a very adept friend of mine, who runs his own computer fix it business, said he could remove the external hard drive from its enclosure (as CCT hints at above) and hook it up directly to the computer. Plugging it into the computer this way effectively makes it an "internal" drive. Using this process, some of the secondary electronics in the external drive (the USB cable and related components, which are frequent culprits) are bypassed. So if your problem is in the secondary electronics and the magnetic disk holding your data is not actually damaged, your data is possibly retrievable by this method.

Anyway. I got it all back. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Trey