Can this sound problem be fixed???

Thread: Can this sound problem be fixed???

Can this sound problem be fixed???

I have built in PCI AC'97 sound card with sound support only when running win98SE... Well i want to make it run under pure dos, so i bought a second hand als4000 pci sound card. This one too works ok under win98SE, it works in dos only when i do the setup, but trying to launch a game (mainly dmame), there is no sound or the sound is like a cat scratching a car ) I played around with the bios, disabling AC'97, assuming is my first sound card but i can't fix it. Als4000 does work under pure dos, but in my case i mistake something...
    My pc is 750Mhz Copermine, Intel 815E motherboard (running a prog called hwinfo says it is Solano type), with the AC'97 sound.

Any help if i can at least make one of these sound cards to work under pure dos....

Thanks
    Esad

games need to be setup to use the card under dos. You have to configure the dma channel(s) and the irq and the address... many dos games had an autodetect system, but you had to call it separately if you changed sound cards after installation.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Most sound cards are capable of 'soundblaster emmulation', which is what you want for most dos games to work.

.. it works in dos only when i do the setup, but trying to launch a game (mainly dmame), there is no sound or the sound is like a cat scratching a car..
    So if you can get this far, then you've got the right drivers & such, & what you need to know about, is 'dosstart.bat' -( best I could find ) - what we need to set up is one setup of drivers for Windows operation, but also a setup for 'DOS only mode' & we achieve that via dosstart.bat, & effectively dual boot windoze & dos (I know 98 is 'dos with pictures', but not as far as environment variables & such go, its two operating systems & needs a re-boot between each 'session')