No Sound In Win XP

Thread: No Sound In Win XP

No Sound In Win XP

Hi,

I have a machine running windows xp home. There is no windows sounds and there is no sound from playing audio cd's either. The on board sound card appeared to be installed fine. I tested the speakers and they were also ok. I therefore made the assumption that the on board sound card had failed. I therefore disabled this device in the BIOS and installed a new pci soundcard. XP installed the drivers for the device automatically and everything looked fine in device manager, however there is still no sound. The volume settings are OK and it has not been muted. All sound playback is set to use the newly installed soundcard, but there is still no sound.

Interestingly enough, I tried to play an audio cd using Windows Media player. When I did so I received the following error message:

"The procedure entry point getIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL"

Do you think that this is some form of system file corruption that may be causing the lack of sound?

Cheers

Paul

It sounds like (sorry for the pun) there has been a repair installation done on this pc and either all the patches are not up to date or there are some incorrect file versions. Check this out for refference on the Getiums error. http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...hlight=getIUMS
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Hi,

Sounds like the getIUMS error message is unrelated to the loss of sound issue. Has anyone any other ideas as to why there is no sound?

Thanks

Paul

You don't have an analogue cable between the drive and the sound card and the sound properties are not set to use digital extraction.... but you have wav files that are not playing either.

If you get the getuims error and you have not tried the fixes, you cannot assume that it has nothing to do with it....

Do you have the audio and legacy codecs showing in sound devices in device manager?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi NooNoo,

Thanks for the reply.
    Unfortunately the pc is off-site so I don't have access to it right now. If the legacy codecs etc are missing, how do I install them?
    For info, there is no Analog cable but the device is configured for digital extraction, but there is no cd audio or wav audio at present.

Thanks

Paul

ok you need to put those codecs back.
    Control panel, add/remove hardware - say yes it's connected, next - scroll down to the bottom of the list "add new hardware device" and next.

Install the updates I manually select (advanced) - next - scroll down to sound, video and game controllers, next. Select Audio codecs from the right pane and click next - follow the wizard. Repeat for legacy audio and you may want to do video as well.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."