nec 3520a burns but wont read

Thread: nec 3520a burns but wont read

nec 3520a burns but wont read

Ok heres my problem My nec 3520a dvdrw will burn data and movies it will read my cd's audio and it will read my burned dvd data backups but it wont read dvd movies.I tried watching a few movies in it and it wont read the dvd movies. I tried 5 different original movies and it wont play them .I then tried a backed up dvd and it wont play that either. i have power dvd,windvd,wmp,and divx and i cant watch a dvd .It won even show the original dvd in my computer
    Last edited by joeynox; September 28th, 2005 at 02:00 AM.

Hi joey & welcome to wd forums.
    .. but it wont read dvd movies..
    So apparently we have complete writing function, but an inability to play even 'pressed' dvd's (an original one, commercially produced) - in which case can you give us the exact errors kicked out by anyone of the players you mention ?

In the meantime my 'flying guess' would be lack of suitable codecs (codec= COmpressor/DECompressor & is a bit of s/w or h/w responsible for translating one data type into another), try going here & get what it calls the 'klite mega pack' - this has pretty much all the s/w required for almost all formats, try installing that & then use the player it has bundled 'media player classic' - any difference ?

thanks for the response. let me explain beter since i typed that at like 3 am. I had my 3520a in another pc it was a 1200 amd tbird with win xp. I just built a 3200 amd 64 with winxp on it. In my old pc the burner worked fine it burnt and it played no probs.

now in my new pc Have burnt maybe 40 dvdr and a few cds. Burning isn't a problem. I put cds in the drive and it detects them and plays them . I put my burnt dvdrs in the drive that have data on them and it detects them and Im able to browse and do what ever i want on my burnt data dvdrs.

I put in a commercial /store bought dvd and a burnt dvdr movie and it wont detect the disk . power dvd,windvd,wmp10, and windows media classic cant Find dvd source. they cant find the drive with the dvd. I chose my e drive as my path to the dvd and it still wont find the movies.

Last night after i typed this i did install klite and that dindt help. I went to nec site which has no support what so ever and installed the new firmware which didn't help.

I know sometimes a burner goes bad either for cd or dvd but the burner works . it reads cds and dvdrs just not my commercial dvds. this drive is 4 months old I just dont understand. I replaced my ide cable also and that did nothing.

Mmm .. what are you using to burn with ? & do you have stuff like alcohol 120 or daemon tools ? try this filter driver Load order tool to find out what may be lurking ..

& if you copy a '.vob' to your hard-disk can you then play it ?

i have alcohol and I deleted the virtual drive to see if that was it. I have a few videos of game trailers that I downloaded and I encoded them using diko and diko makes them mp4.s and mpv I think and Im able to view those with divx. Just the damn thing wont detect my disks with movies on them. it makes no sense . i will try the vob when i get home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by joeynox
    i have alcohol and I deleted the virtual drive to see if that was it. .. Just the damn thing wont detect my disks with movies on them. it makes no sense ..
    Makes lots of sense to me - virtual drives can send windows into a tailspin, just deleting the virtual drive won't help on its own, you need to get of the 'class filter driver' associated with it (uninstall the whole product & check via that util I just gave you what filter drivers are loading, if it doesn't mean anything to you, try me with the details, or post screenshots from the util)

I uninstalled alcohol. That didnt help it still does the same thing. hers screenies fromt he app u told me about
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeynox; September 28th, 2005 at 05:58 PM.

I know this is yet another player... but have you tried installing www.videolan.org ?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by joeynox
    I uninstalled alcohol. That didnt help it still does the same thing. hers screenies fromt he app u told me about
    Well they appear ok (redbook & impai, being what should be there, plus any product based filter drivers, which I pressume you've removed to simplify matters, , but having said that I also know that alcohol 120 (or '52' the virtual drive only version) can introduce its own version of imapi.sys, so perhaps try 'sfc' (system file checker) to make sure we are using the up-to-date versions from M$ (sp2 for xp also changes them).

& btw I'm still interested to know if you can manage to play a '.vob' at all (so as I suggested from the hard-disk, I want to know that it can manage this at least)