Compaq Presario 5000 sound driver

Thread: Compaq Presario 5000 sound driver

Compaq Presario 5000 sound driver

I'm trying to get the sound working on a Presario 5000 for someone (no driver was installed), so I downloaded it from hp.com and during installation, I get an error saying the driver cannot be found. I do have a recovery disk but I think it has win 98 on it and they want to keep win 2000. So if I can't get the onboard sound to work, my last resort is to buy a pci sound card and use that.

Any suggestions before I leave to get a sound card?

Also, this computer was unbeleivably slow, I opened "My Computer" to open the audio driver setup I burnt to CD, it took a few minutes to open my computer, then when I clicked on the CD drive it took another 5 minutes or so to show the file that is on it. Is there a way to install win 2k on a compaq and get drivers or will I just reproduce this audio driver for every device inside? I hate working on brand name computers, at least if it's a PC I built, I have all the drivers and know what's inside.

Thanks

Well to start they made about a zillion 5000's
    So finding out the rest of the particular model is important.
    Also you could try using Everest
    http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

I think I found the sound chip on the mobo: "ESS Alegro", which of the 5000 ones has this sound chip?

Thanks

Got it, from the HP site:
    "For example, your Presario may appear to be a 5000 model PC, but it is actually a 5000 series PC. The correct model number could be 5WV283."

I jsut saw the "real" model number on the back and found the drivers, why do they have to make it so complicated?

I found why it was so slow, it had Norton installed so I removed that garbage and will put AVG, it's at least 5 times faster (or less slow) withoput Norton.

But I tried installing the proper driver and after installing and rebooting the sound card still has no drivers installed and has an exclamation point in device manager.

Is there anything else I can try? Should I just get a $15 sound card? Can I even add a sound card to it? The BIOS has no option to disable the onboard sound.

Thanks

Odd, most have the option to disable sound... I hope you got permission to remove Norton which they pay for on a subscription before you reorganised their antivirus for them.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Where is the option to disable sound? Would it cause the sound card to be detected by windows with no driver as is the case?

It was an old version of norton before it was subscription based, this is for my dad's friend's 5 year old son, so I'm sure they'll be more than happy they now have an AV that actually works and their PC is now 5-10 times faster. My dad said it was ok and anyway they'd have to be crazy to be anything but happy that I remvoed the world's worst anti virus and put a free one that works and makes their computer much faster.

Of the thousands of users using my software, many hundreds have had to remove Norton due to it blocking internet access evenafter telling Norton to allow it, and all of them are much happier with AVG. My mom also had to remove Norton on all computers where she worked becaused it would block their accounting software.

No it does not affect a pci sound card. If memory serves its in the last menu item under pci devices.... because although it's onboard, it's fed through the pci bus...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    Where is the option to disable sound? Would it cause the sound card to be detected by windows with no driver as is the case?

It was an old version of norton before it was subscription based, this is for my dad's friend's 5 year old son, so I'm sure they'll be more than happy they now have an AV that actually works and their PC is now 5-10 times faster. My dad said it was ok and anyway they'd have to be crazy to be anything but happy that I remvoed the world's worst anti virus and put a free one that works and makes their computer much faster.

Of the thousands of users using my software, many hundreds have had to remove Norton due to it blocking internet access evenafter telling Norton to allow it, and all of them are much happier with AVG. My mom also had to remove Norton on all computers where she worked becaused it would block their accounting software.

By the posts you have made in this vey thread Click2Surf it is blatantly obvious that you have a lot ot learn about antivirus and computers.
    For example
    "have an AV that actually works and their PC is now 5-10 times faster."

And frankly nothing on God's green earth would make a Pressario 5000 that fast.

Thats a huge exageration. For it to do that you would need to upgrade it to a P4 3 gightz or more at least

AVG free will "NEVER EVER" be comparable to Norton AV.
    No company gives away free antivirus when it has a good chance of competing with paid antivirus.
    Its a simple thought to understand.

"that I remvoed the world's worst anti virus and put a free one that works and makes their computer much faster."
    You removed as you said a very old version and your comparing it to a brand new version of AVG
    Check the statistics Norton runs NO 1 or NO 2 consistently. Just because you have issues with it doesnt change the fact it is prolly the best there is out there
    You need to read before you make statements you cannot justify

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/so...fullstory.html
    Last edited by Ferrit; October 9th, 2005 at 12:49 PM.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net

I do not use norton myself, I did back in the years it was the best, but ask others on this forum and they will agree it's garbage. It's LOADED with bugs and flaws, someone on this forum said he was able to get full conctrol of a PC and had full access to the C: drive while Norton was "protecting" that computer. Also, I've often seen the firewall in norton endlessly ask whether or not to allow a program to access the internet, even with the "do not ask again" option, it just keeps asking over and over until you kill the exe.

I do know the sad truth about Norton being the #1-2 most sold, that still will never change the fact that it's the #1 most buggy and flawed AV, at least since 2 years. I'm well aware it was the best many years ago and did use it myself, but as the bugs and flaws started to be added, I switched to AVG and Zone Alarm for a firewall.

And I'm not exagerating at all about the speed improvement, at the very least it's 3 times faster, even though it's still extremely slow, but with Norton installed I couldn't beleive anyone would actually use it, just about anything took 5+ minutes.

Here's a link for you:
    Results 1 - 10 of about 194,000 for Norton AntiVirus flaws
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+flaws&spell=1

I don't know how you can possibly support Norton, it's JAM PACKED with bugs and flaws, support is non existant, and they don't care one bit about their customers, so if you're supproting them then it's because you work for them, it's the only explanation for someone supporting the garbage Norton makes, just ask others members of this forum.
    Last edited by ClickHere2Surf.com; October 9th, 2005 at 03:14 PM.

Oh, to get to the sound issue, I didnt have time to try to get the onboard working since they needed it for tonight and I had a lot more work to do, so I installed a $15 sound card and it's working fine now.

Thanks

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    It was an old version of norton before it was subscription based
    what version was that????

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    i was gonna say, cause that's the last time I remember seeing Norton not use subscriptions was around 2000 or 2001.