Toshiba SD-M1502 won't recognize DVD movies

Thread: Toshiba SD-M1502 won't recognize DVD movies

Toshiba SD-M1502 won't recognize DVD movies

My DVD drive hasn't recognized movies since the second to last time I upgraded and formatted my computer. It can do everything EXCEPT play movies. Install from DVDs, open burned DVDs, play music CDs, open burned CDs. I've tried changing between the DMA and PIO modes to no avail. Here is the error I receive when the DVD drive is double-clicked:

---------------------------
    Disk is not formatted
    Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.
    OK

If any other type of DVD is inserted, it autoloads fine. I'm using PowerDVD for the decoders, here's the decoder report:

Detected DVD decoders

DShow SW:
    Name:"CLVSD.ax"
    Company Name:"CyberLink Corp."
    Version: 6.0.0.1006
    Product Version: 6.0.0.1006
    CRC32: 0xa31ebb5e
    VID:2

W2k Upgrade=no
    Win9x Upgrade=no
    LCID=0409
    OK

This problem has spanned two vastly different systems. In fact, the DVD drive is the only original piece of hardware. Any suggestions?

What windows version did you upgrade to?
    THE KEY TO HAPPINESS
    If you can guess what it makes then your life shall be filled with happiness and your stomach filled with joy

INGREDIENTS:
    * 5 pounds red potatoes* 6 eggs*2 cups mayonnaise
    * 1 onion, diced* 2 green onions, thinly sliced
    * 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    * 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced* 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

I haven't upgraded the operating system - I've been running XP pro since it was released (yay university lisencing!) and have been doing the Windows update every month. Nothing's really changed on the OS front other than that, and the movies haven't played in SP1 or SP2.

Quote Originally Posted by zake
    .. It can do everything EXCEPT play movies. Install from DVDs, open burned DVDs, play music CDs, open burned CDs.
    So if you copy a '.vob' file from one of these dvd's to your hard drive, can you play that ?

Been to cyberlink for a patch?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    So if you copy a '.vob' file from one of these dvd's to your hard drive, can you play that ?
    Well that's the thing, it won't even get far enough for me to see the contents of the DVD. It tells me the DVD isn't in the drive. I'm downloading the latest Cyberlink patch, but I'm late for work! I'll see if it helps this afternoon.

Well that's the thing, it won't even get far enough for me to see the contents of the DVD..
    Ahh right, from what you put earlier, I was thinking different .. try Noo's suggestion then, & if that's not working, try taking it (powerdvd) right off, then re-run the setup & the latest patch (stuff installed pre sp2, can work 'erratically' due to the changes that makes).

Can you transfer this dvd to another machine to test it ? That unit, a SD-M1502, is a 'combo' unit & has two lots of lasers, in it - one for cd function & the other for dvd & its possible for it to be slightly out of alignment & produce symptoms not unlike yours ..

I can play the same DVD movies on my three flatmate's computers, so I don't think it's a disc problem. I've also been trying with a good assortment of movies. But even if one of the lasers is slightly tweaked, why can it read any other type of DVD with no problems?

I applied the patch as I was leaving the flat this morning and there was no immediate fix. I let it reboot as I walked out the door, so I'll see if that helps at all.

stuff installed pre sp2, can work 'erratically' due to the changes that makes
    Technically, PowerDVD hasn't seen the light of SP1. In the latest hardware upgrade/format/install I used a new copy of Windows XP Pro that had SP2. Would that make any difference?

I'm probably being very confusing, I'm sorry! I appreciate all the help!

..I'm probably being very confusing, I'm sorry! ..
    You are a touch even to me, & I'm permanently like that !

When I said 'this dvd' I meant the unit itself (the player) not any particular dvd disc..(pressuming you can/know how) - There's a lot of things could be wrong software or physically wise, but the simplest way to test matters out, without taking 'forever' to do it, is to swap any 'suspect' unit into a machine we know can work.

If you used a 'slipstreamed' copy of xp (one with the service packs & patches preloaded - 'new ones' are like this ) then uninstalling & reinstalling power dvd might well be a waste of time, but for how long it takes, I'd probably do it anyways just to be sure..

When I said 'this dvd' I meant the unit itself (the player) not any particular dvd disc..(pressuming you can/know how)
    Yarrr...I should have thought of that! I've been doing all my own computer building for quite a while so I'll get to it tonight. I'm also going to try a different decoder pack to see if that's being wonky. Thanks!

www.videolan.org - basic but it does actually give you decent error messages.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

So, the PowerDVD patch didn't work, and neither did switching to videoLAN decoders. I didn't receive any different error messages, just the one saying that the disc was corrupted or incompatible like before. When one of my flatmates gets home, I'll hook up my DVD drive to their computer and see if I can't get it running on another box.

Sounds like a plan.

Well, I didn't get the chance to try out the box switch last night. I've pretty much decided to get a new DVD burner, anyway. They're so cheap!