Maybe it's just me.......
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maybe it's just me.......

Angry Maybe it's just me.......

but howcome people can't type and forget grammar when they start posting in forums. Probably like 90% of the forums I go to, there's a bunch of people that either don't know how to spell or don't use any puncuation at all. Most posts have to be read 6 times before you actually figure out what they're trying to say. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Sorry, had to get that off my chest. [/rant]
    **Time is fun when you are having flies. - Kermit the Frog**

Welcome to my world
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit D. Frog
    but howcome people can't type and forget grammar when they start posting in forums. Probably like 90% of the forums I go to, there's a bunch of people that either don't know how to spell or don't use any puncuation at all. Most posts have to be read 6 times before you actually figure out what they're trying to say. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Sorry, had to get that off my chest. [/rant]
    Like people not using question marks when they should for example?

emr

Ireelly dont see the issue here i dont think its a reel big problem with forums that people do not punctuate or speel chek the post they are posting

Seriously what gets me more is "l33t sp33k" in posts. I spend hours trying to decode it sometimes and in the end, it's just a waste of time because it never made sense in the first place.
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

I truly believe that the root cause of spelling and grammar problems is that many of us who post are stressed, rushing out the door to a job, and so on. Also, many of us Colonials have a poor grounding in Latin and Greek. Therefore, many of us do not check our posts as closely as we should in an ideal world. Goodness knows, I have been one of the worst offenders.

Unfortunately, most of the rest don't know, don't care, don't get it, and are essentially knuckle walking morons. I know this is a bit harsh, but I get tired of dealing with rude people. Mayet is on the right track about all the current slang and folks who could choose to be more clear but aren't. My interpretation.

In particular, I have a major problem with the number of rude posters we get. My current policy is zero tolerance for rude people. Uninformed, unfocused, unclear, disoriented, I can deal with, but rude is right out. Think I was given a finite ammount of patience at birth, and it ran out at at about 35 years. The last couple of decades have me in the negative number range.

Any disagreements with other forum members shouldn't be construed as a lack of respect, but simply differences of opinion. However, anyone who logs on to this forum for help should assume: We want to help him, we have more experience, and if more information is requested, there is a good reason for the request. And NO! we can't always provide a magic solution to your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by emr
    Like people not using question marks when they should for example?

emr

I knew someone would pick something out!
    **Time is fun when you are having flies. - Kermit the Frog**

I know I make a lot of typos when I'm tired, but I re-read before I submit posts, so usually catch them. As slgrieb says, if someone is in a hurry, they probably just don't check.

But often it's obvious some folk can't spell very well, maybe a product of the education system, learning difficulties etc. It can be a problem if you just have a hard time working out what on earth they're saying. I remember someone once posting about a "daulie", no-one had any idea what this was until we worked out from context that a dual-CPU mainboard was meant - a "dualie (or duallie)".

Rudeness is a different matter, maybe some don't know any better, but it's not hard to address people in a civil manner...

I knew someone would pick something out!
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

emr

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    However, anyone who logs on to this forum for help should assume: We want to help him, we have more experience,....

I would say that we have a mixture of experiences... more is not necessarily better, but different can be very useful.

I agree that anyone who starts asking for help by generally disrepecting the the would be helpers doesn't deserve help. A person such as this may find that many people refuse to help and the person may never understand why... a person who yells at the customer service will often find that they are unable to help, but the person who asks for the problem to be solved in a genial and respectful manner will often find s/he gets customer service beyond the call of duty.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I do try and be as gramatically correct as possible, and check to see if my spelling is accurate, but sometimes....you just don't think twice about it.

Well, I stand by the remark that most of us have more experience than most folks who need help. But, NooNoo, you are absolutely correct about differences in experience and expertise being the very thing that makes forums like this so useful. And there really is a lot difference between 20 years of experience and one year of experience repeated 20 times.

Hi,
    I really miss spell checking (around this forum and others) - English is not my native language.
    And I think many of other forums has members from all around the world whom their english "skills" are not so good (to say the least).

Good Day,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

I used to love spelling at school and read a lot at home too, but maybe other people didn't ...

Poetry, recordings and photos >> Welcome to My World

I dont know sometimes you just get used to it if you have young kids around like I do you get used to bad speling and no punkuation

Well, I type using only 2 fingers, so that usually is what gets me into trouble... I'll try duct taping my other fingers outta the way...
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz