Bird Flu.. Are You Worried?

View Poll Results: Are you worried about the Bird Flu affecting you personally?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I am worried and concerned for my family

3 30.00%
  • No I am not worried it's nothing to fear

7 70.00%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bird Flu.. Are You Worried?

Question Bird Flu.. Are You Worried?

With all the headlining news about the Bird Flu pandemic that is sweeping the world..... are you worried?
    Are you doing anything to prepare for this attacking your family or are you just taking a "I'll deal with it when it happens stance"
    Is your area of the world at particular risk for Bird Flu?
    What are you doing to prepare yourself and family?
    How do you feel about the fact that there is not enough medication for everyone in the event of a human to human pandemic of Bird Flu?

Bird Flu is sweeping across the world at the moment with Birds beginning their annual migration, do you feel it will in fact turn into the pandemic that eveyone is alarmed about or do you feel it is all hogwash and a media scare compaign.

Bird Flu News And Updates
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

I've been thinking/concerned about this for a while now. Especially once it hit Europe. I would imagine with "down under" being so close, no wonder you are concerned. Simply put, anyone who is NOT concerned needs to wake up and BE concerned. Pandemics? Yeah...REAL scary.
    When (not if) it hits North America, FLA is where ALL the birds migrate to for the winter. What can we do though? We can only wait on the governments to bolster the flu shots regime, which they are now attempting to do. So far, the number of doses per country doestn't begin to mitigate a seriouis death toll if in fact this flu morphs into a huma communicable virus.

Didn't I see a movie or read a book about this somewhere?

Being a Potato Salad i am impervious to all your pathetic human diseases
    THE KEY TO HAPPINESS
    If you can guess what it makes then your life shall be filled with happiness and your stomach filled with joy

INGREDIENTS:
    * 5 pounds red potatoes* 6 eggs*2 cups mayonnaise
    * 1 onion, diced* 2 green onions, thinly sliced
    * 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    * 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced* 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Just got to watch out for Potato Blight then PS !

Well, since it seems the platypus evolved from alien genetic experiments interbreeding ducks and small furry mammals, I guess I could be worried...

But once again Australia is probably a better place to be, rather than somewhere with a large, dense population. But like most countries these days, we're still dependent on intensive housing for meat poultry production. If bird flu became rampant, mass bird destruction and quarantine would be essential.

We've just had news of an import from Canada, which consignment passed tests for live virus before despatch, but failed antibody tests on arrival. Bird imports from Canada have been suspended at this time.

The amount of imports arab countries have, its just a matter of time really. Meat/Poultry are imported on a very large scale and from all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    Just got to watch out for Potato Blight then PS !
    Well then i guess i cant go to ireland now can i
    THE KEY TO HAPPINESS
    If you can guess what it makes then your life shall be filled with happiness and your stomach filled with joy

INGREDIENTS:
    * 5 pounds red potatoes* 6 eggs*2 cups mayonnaise
    * 1 onion, diced* 2 green onions, thinly sliced
    * 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    * 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced* 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Talking

if i was a bird i would be really worried but being human and seeing the virus does not transmit itself between humans the fact that in a few years it may mutate and start trasmitting itself between people then i will start worrying,till then there is enough to worry about that is happening right now to keep me occupied for now.

From what I understand. They do not even have a vaccine developed and according to my BIO professor, she has said that it would take a year to make enough vaccine for a certain number of people, (not enough even for the U.S)....if it morphs and can be contracted from human to human contact, it could be like the flu pandemic of 1918 that killed millions of people....I have read that with a few mutations, it could...
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)

Quote Originally Posted by clauded
    if i was a bird i would be really worried but being human and seeing the virus does not transmit itself between humans the fact that in a few years it may mutate and start trasmitting itself between people then i will start worrying,till then there is enough to worry about that is happening right now to keep me occupied for now.
    True enought claud, but that is the point: the virus HAS already mutated in SEAsia (they think). More important: it's happened before, so...
    Yeah, there are plenty of things to worry about now, but a strain of deadly virus, without any natural immunity or vaccine...well, I don' know. I guess I would really like to be unmoved by this as you seem to be.
    btw: don't Bogart that joint my friend. Pass it over to me.

Bird flu Im not worried about...
    I am worried about AIDS, Cancer, radiation sickness, pollution, food with nasty chimicals... those have killed (and will kill) more than any flu in the history.

Sneeze,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

In one of the really, really Blue states.
    Why do they call it the bird flu? I have read that all flu is from birds.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Because H5N1 isn't as snappy in the headlines....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Maybe it's all just a big spelling mistake - the "bird flew..."

Groan......
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel
    Bird flu Im not worried about...
    I am worried about AIDS, Cancer, radiation sickness, pollution, food with nasty chimicals... those have killed (and will kill) more than any flu in the history.

Sneeze,
    Gabriel
    There is where you are WRONG!

The pandemic (an epidemic that is spread worldwide) that killed at least 25 million people in one year.

A disease that is largely forgotten.

A disease that occurred in the 20th century!

I know what you're thinking - AID's, Syphilis, or the dreaded Ebola.

All are wrong.

It was the influenza of 1918-1919, right after World War I (the war killed 9 million men in 4 years)

This was no minor disease - everyone on the planet was at risk.

And it was started right here in the good old U. S. of A.

In one year, nearly twenty million cases were reported in the United States, accounting for almost one million deaths.

The cause is still unknown, but is believed to have been a mutated swine virus.

It all started on the morning of March 11, 1918 at Camp Funston, Kansas.

A company cook named Albert Mitchell reported to the infirmary with typical flu-like symptoms - a low-grade fever, mild sore throat, slight headache, and muscle aches. Bed rest was recommended.

By noon, 107 soldiers were sick.

Within two days, 522 people were sick. Many were gravely ill with severe pneumonia.

Then reports started coming in from other military bases around the country.

Thousands of sailors docked off the East Coast were sick.

Within a week, the influenza was hitting isolated places, such as the island of Alcatraz.

Whatever the cause, it was clearly airborne.

Within seven days, every state in the Union had been infected.

Then it spread across the Atlantic.

By April, French troops and civilians were infected.

By mid-April, the disease had spread to China and Japan.

By May, the virus was spread throughout Africa and South America.

The actual killer was the pneumonia that accompanied the infection.

In Philadelphia, 158 out of every 1000 people died. 148 out of 1000 in Baltimore. 109 out of 1000 in Washington, D. C..

The good news (if there was any) was that the disease peaked within two to three weeks after showing up in a given city. It left as quickly as it arrived.

The United States death toll was a total of 850,000 people, making it an area of the world that was least devastated by this virus.

Sixty percent of the Eskimo population was wiped out in Nome, Alaska.

80-90% of the Samoan population was infected, many of the survivors dying from starvation (they lacked the energy to feed themselves).

Luxury ocean liners from Europe would arrive in New York with 7% less passengers than they embarked with. The confined area of the ship was especially conducive to the spread of the disease.

In the end, 25 million people had died. Some estimates put the number as high as 37 million.

Eighteen months after the disease appeared, the flu bug vanished and has never shown up again.

So what happened?

Until recently, no one was really sure. In March of 1997, the news broke that researchers at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Washington, D. C. had isolated genetic material from the virus.

This was no easy task. The living virus is no longer around. It turns out that while conducting autopsies in 1918, Army doctors had preserved some specimens in formaldehyde. One of these jars contained the lungs of a 21 year old soldier that died on September 26, 1918.

Bingo!

The researchers spent nearly two years extracting just seven percent of the genetic code, but the evidence gathered has provided a great wealth of information.

It appears that the virus passed from birds to pigs and then to humans. These are the deadliest of all viruses. The viruses tend to remain stable in the birds, but occassionally they infect pigs. Of course, the pig immune system kicks into action and the virus is forced to mutate to survive. Both the Asian flu (1957) and the Hong Kong flu (1968), which were not as deadly, mutated from pig viruses.

The scary part is that it could happen again - and we're not prepared for it. Useless? Useful? I’ll leave that for you to decide.
    Taken from http://home.nycap.rr.com/useless/bubonic_plague/
    (_|_) I AM EDITED BY WEBHEAD (_|_)