msconfig shows many services stopped - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: msconfig shows many services stopped

OK... this started after you tried to uninstall java didn't it...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I'm not really sure. I started looking into the innards of my machine so to speak and was surprised at what I was finding. I was having a problem with java but Norton help was able to fix it. apparently ccproxy in currentuser had to be set to 0 it was at 2. The behavior was interesting though. IE would not update but firefox would. Now, based on reports from www.java.com both firefox and IE have java 1.5.0_05 and work with norton.

So, I think the issue with Java is ok but who knows. I was also having the control panel java icon remain even when java was removed.

The problems or suspicious items are:

1) norton says it's scanning 600,000 files --> I can only find 111,789
    2) A lot of services are stopped
    3) the ntbtlog says many drives didn't load but here I'm not sure if the ntbtlog was created in safe mode or not.
    4) This is I think minor but to be complete, two programs are suppose to place their icons in the system tray, MS antispy (red yellow and black wheel) and a green globe from Norton. Sometimes they appear and sometimes they don't. The programs always appear in the task manager, so they are loading but not displaying.

Have performed multiple scans for virusis and the machine seems clean. What would you look at, or would you just say hey, if it aint broke....

you haven't answered my question about what happens to the services in safe mode....do the majority stay stopped or do some start?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

OK, when I run in safe mode I have only 8 services running. When I run regular I have 21 services running.

I tried to create a bootlog from msconfig but get nothing useful. When you hit f8 on startup you can then select enable boot logging and I get the file that showed many drives not loading. It does not appear to be running in safe mode when it produces this file.

Lastly the system tray stuff remains unstable.

so what are the services that do run? In both modes
    You can export the services list to a text file one of the menu items at the top...

Have you tried CCleaner or a registry mechanic (this one cost $$ each yr.
    ) Ccleaner can be found at pcworld.com