USB 2.0 fails to recognise mass stores and hubs (USB 1.1 OK)

Thread: USB 2.0 fails to recognise mass stores and hubs (USB 1.1 OK)

USB 2.0 fails to recognise mass stores and hubs (USB 1.1 OK)

Here is a problem I have been trying to resolve for the last 3 days.

I'm using a home built PC which has a Gigabyte GA-7S748-L motherboard and an AMD xp 300 cpu. The board uses the SiS 748 chipset which in turn uses the SiS 2001 USB controller. I have 6 X USB 2.0 ports enabled.

Connected to the PC is a Creative webcam, a Speadtouch ADSL modem, a HP 420 printer/camera docking station, an Agfa scanner ,HP Laserjet and Epson Inkjet printers, which all work fine.

This setup I have used without issue for the last year.

The OS is Windows XP Pro with service pack three installed and all recommended updates applied.

Until three days ago I also had connected an OEM USB 2.0 four port hub, a 256MB Sandisk Cruzer mini flash drive and a Maxtor 120 GB One Touch external USB 2.0 hard disk, all working fine. Now the hub and two drives all fail to load when connected to any of the USB ports and all get the same message "USB Device Not Recognised".

So far I have followed all the advice given at: http://www.guidenet.net/resources/usb.html. Section "7001 USB host controller",
    which has involved flashing the board's BIOS (Ver F9.0), disabling the power management on the three USB Root Hubs, removing and re-installing all root hubs, loading the default MS USB drivers, running the "sis-usbdetect.exe" utility designed to cure this problem, and running "FreshUsb.exe" from Gigabyte which refreshes and renews all USB drivers.

Results: The two drives and hub all connect OK with my laptop; so they all work fine. When I connect the Cruzer flash drive and the run the "FreshUsb.exe" utility the drive appears in explorer for about 1 second as drive I:\ before it disappears and then appears as an "Unknown Device" in Windows Device manager.

One last thing, if I connect a 32MB USB 1.1 flash drive this is detected without any problems.

I'm sure I've exhausted all possible solutions but would ask anyone to come up with another option I've not yet tried, aside from a complete reinstall of the OS :-(

Thanks in advance.

Steve

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=873169 > I don't know if this will help,little information available about service pack 3.> http://search.microsoft.com/results....n-US&FORM=SSME
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."