NEWS: BBC opens news archives to surfers

Thread: NEWS: BBC opens news archives to surfers

NEWS: BBC opens news archives to surfers

- The BBC has opened its news archives to users in the UK for the first time in its 75 year history. Nearly 80 items are being offered in a trial covering many iconic events of the past 50 years, including behind-the-scenes footage of the 1966 England football team before their World Cup win in 1966.

Good find Techz , but there's a few why's & wherefores

1. you need to register, to be able to view & download the clips
    2. it says this in the notes;-
    ..The Creative Archive content is made available to internet users for use within the UK. ..
    Can you have a bash for me Techz at registering & downloading ? since you aren't in the uk - I'm thinking the end sentence may mean they try & use IP addresses to try & figure out if folks are really downloading from within the uk (I'd have thought 'anonymous proxy' s/w though could fool most of that)

Hmm,

Address Bar says http://www.bbc.co.uk/calc/news/geoip...ted.shtml?c=bh <-- it knows by IP.

Yes, I'm outside the UK
    The BBC has decided to limit access to its archives in this pilot to UK residents to ensure best value for the UK licence fee. Users outside of the UK are not able to access clips and programmes that form part of this pilot. Regrettably we are therefore unable to offer you content and would like to apologise for any disappointment.

Ta for testing that ! , so no direct download of these if you are outside the uk.

(methinks it won't be long before somebody turns at least some of them into torrents or such, so the world can see 'em )