iPod/1394 connection troubles.

Thread: iPod/1394 connection troubles.

iPod/1394 connection troubles.

I just picked up a friends broken iPod that he wants me to fix. I just need to get it to connect so I can reset it to factory settings and it should be good. The problem is at first I didn't think I had a firewire port I later found that my father must have bought a PCI 1394 card because there are 2 ports there that didn't come with the computer. I plug in the iPod to try to get it to charge because the battery is dead right now and nothing happens. It won't show up on windows anywhere because the iPod has no power to turn on so I have no idea if the port is even working. I looked at device manager to see if I could find the card but I have no idea which one it is. Looked under network connections and I have a 1394 net adapter icon next to my LAN icon. It always says connected. I have no idea how to get this to work. I was thinking new drivers but I have no idea how to update or what exactly to update. Can you help me?

EDIT: btw I'm running windows XP sp2
    Last edited by Twasi; January 2nd, 2006 at 10:14 PM.

Well... possibly....
    First off I found a pretty good troubleshooter here about 2/3rds the way down the page is failure to charge which might be helpful... yes I know it is about a mac, but the troubleshooting is still valid for PC on firewire and charging.

You have 1394 network adapter showing in device manager - you should also have an IEEE 1394 Host bus adapter section (usually just below IDE drives). If it's not there, then the firewire port may be disabled.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hmmm. None of the Firewire not charging things applied to me. I know the cable works and all I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with the card/drivers. I looked for the host bus adapter thing and when I opened it up with the '+' this dropped down.

"Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller"

I think that was installed when my sister got her first graphing calculator a longggg time ago. Is it possible that this firewire port isn't capable of charging? like a non 2.0 USB port? Or do I have the wrong host controller thing?