Lost CD/DVD drives

Thread: Lost CD/DVD drives

Question Lost CD/DVD drives

On my Dell 4700 the CD and DVD drives disappeared, returned a few days later, then disappeared never to be seen again. The platters operate. Diagnostics indicate a mother board problem. A new ribbon cable did not correct the problem. Is this a common Dell problem? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Haraking
    On my Dell 4700 the CD and DVD drives disappeared, returned a few days later, then disappeared never to be seen again. The platters operate. Diagnostics indicate a mother board problem. A new ribbon cable did not correct the problem. Is this a common Dell problem? Any ideas?
    Have you looked for firmware updates?
    Last edited by Tecumseh; January 19th, 2006 at 09:05 PM.
    ya'aa'tey

XP Pro SP2 - Intel D925XCV MB - P4 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, HTT, socket 775 - WD 36GB SATA HD - WD 250GB USB2 External HD - 2GB Crucial DDR2 PC2-4200 - Sony DRU-710A DVD±R/RW - Plextor CD-R Premium - XFX GeForce 7900 GT / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV - Samsung 19" LCD - Antec Performance Plus SOHO server case with 430W PSU

Wink Missing CD | DVD drives

I had a similar problem with one of my older PCs where the cd drive disappeared, i updated the driver and it still wasn't there.

I eventually found my way into the BIOS settings on the computer and found that the IDE chanel of the CD Drive had been disabled for some reason. Enabled it and restarted the PC and the CD Drive was back

The driver i am using now is newer and since it was installed the problem has not cropped up. Touch Wood

Is there a bios update from Dell for your model? Also check the settings in bios as Emerald-64 suggested.

emr

Thanks all. Yes, tried all of those items, but did not fix. Tried new ribbon cable but to no avail. It appears to be a mother board problem, maybe the decoder. Am told Dell had problems like that. The CD drive is there in the diagnostic mode, but the CD and DVD drive will not show in MY COMPUTER. I think a new computer may fix the problem.