Ups...

Thread: Ups...

Ups...

So I'm checking the UPS tracking number Antec has given me to see if my replacement power supply unit is coming in today or not so that I can tell my kids to perhaps expect a delivery when they get back from school.

But I see the package has already been delivered at 12:06.

When no one was home.

I'm at work, so is my wife. The kids are both in school. The other 2 tenants where we live are also at work.

Nevertheless, it appears someone with my last name has signed for this package, which my daughter tells me was sitting in front of the door (inside building, but still) when she got home a few minutes ago.

This is the 2nd time this has happened with UPS delivered packages. Is this SOP for them?

I'm happy the PSU is there and on time, but no one in my household signed for it while the tracking system says we did...

Is that even legal?!
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

So someone has stolen your new PSU?

My daughter took it in when she got in at 3:30PM, after it had been delivered and "signed for" at 12:06, so it's safe.

But by sheer luck, it would appear.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Stalemate
    So I'm checking the UPS tracking number Antec has given me to see if my replacement power supply unit is coming in today or not so that I can tell my kids to perhaps expect a delivery when they get back from school.

But I see the package has already been delivered at 12:06.

When no one was home.

I'm at work, so is my wife. The kids are both in school. The other 2 tenants where we live are also at work.

Nevertheless, it appears someone with my last name has signed for this package, which my daughter tells me was sitting in front of the door (inside building, but still) when she got home a few minutes ago.

This is the 2nd time this has happened with UPS delivered packages. Is this SOP for them?

I'm happy the PSU is there and on time, but no one in my household signed for it while the tracking system says we did...

Is that even legal?!
    UPS offers three types of delivery confirmation..standard, which just says that the package has been delivered to the address, signature required, which means anyone of any age at that address can sign for it, and adult signature required, which means just what it says. The type of delivery confirmation is requested at the time of shipping by the shipper and is only available on packages shipped to a home, not on commercial deliveries. Whether or not to leave a package is solely dependant on the requirement for signatures and on the drivers decision.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Yes, Stalemate, pretty much par for the course. For orders done online, you may not have any choice of confirmation method. For phone orders, some shippers may work with you, but it depends on company policy.

I once had an order which was actually delivered 3 times (and signed for 3 times) to business in 2 different states before it finally showed up at my office! What made this especially amazing was that the shipment was C.O.D.

I see.

The tracking info said "standard", but there was also a section labelled "Signed for by" with my name next to it... misleading a bit.

Thanks for the background info.

A lot also depends on your driver. Some won't leave anything without a signature at time of delivery or a signed door tag. I have business on both sides, and I've had the same driver for nearly 8 years, so he knows that he can drop my stuff with the neighbors and vice versa. He also knows that if my wife's clinic is closed for a staff meeting out of town, he can leave urgent shipments such as vaccines with me, and I'll handle them correctly. A personal relationship with your driver is a Good Thing.

I see.

The tracking info said "standard", but there was also a section labelled "Signed for by" with my name next to it... misleading a bit.

Thanks for the background info.
    As I have known my UPS guy for years, we have a code he uses when he leaves a package inside the porch - "F. Door" signs for it.

He knows that when I order computer parts I usually need 'em right away so even if I'm not home he will leave them but out of sight. For most other stuff he either leaves it with my neighbor or waits until I tell him how and where to deliver it.

My personal favorite is Airborne Express - Monday they delivered a new MSDN package by ringing the bell once, dropping it on the porch in the snow, and by the time I opened the door the van was almost out of sight. Some day I'm gonna order something really expensive by Airborne and maybe teach them a lesson.

A I R B O R N E E X P R E S S! Slowly I turned! Step by step, inch by inch...

Yeah, I worked for a company with something like 120 branches nationwide, and for several years ALL vital paperwork (invoices, work orders, production requirements, payroll, the whole enchilada) was printed at the home office and overnighted (I swear I'm not making this up) to each individual branch for priority delivery ONE DAY before the documents were required! Airborne actually seemed to do OK for most locations, but all plants that were serviced through the Dallas hub eventually had to use FedEx.

From a personal perspective, the only shipper I ever dealt with that was worse was the late and totally unlamented TexPack.

My daughter took it in when she got in at 3:30PM, after it had been delivered and "signed for" at 12:06, so it's safe.

But by sheer luck, it would appear.

in the shipping option you might find a box for needing a signature, mark it off if it's availabe.

or, complain to UPS that this has happened and see what they say.

Depending on the relationship you have with the receiving dept. at your workplace, you can have the packages delivered there.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    Depending on the relationship you have with the receiving dept. at your workplace, you can have the packages delivered there.

Yeah, hindsight being 20/20 and all that.

I think that's what I'll do from now on, since I actually sign for most of the packages coming in to work when I'm here anyhow.