Can memory cause a mobo and/or psu to die?

Thread: Can memory cause a mobo and/or psu to die?

Can memory cause a mobo and/or psu to die?

Am working on a E-machine, with an FIC VG33 mobo, 2.6Ghz, 512mb, 80Gb hd, DVD-rom, CDRW, flop, on-board video/nic/usb- etc. running XP home.

The user had been having trouble booting up, and for some reason, tried a different monitor that did allow it to boot. This worked for a few weeks.

A few days ago, the user said the pc stopped responding, so they powered down, then tried to reboot. The pc began smoking out of the top-rear side of the case (minitower, sits on their desktop).

I opened the case, no visible signs of damaged/burned components or smell of burning. Dust was quite thick, especially around the CPU and it's fan. I unplugged the mobo, let it sit while I unplugged power from all of the drives. I plugged the mobo back in and applied power. Checked the switch connection to the mobo. I saw no sign of 'trying' to turn the fans up.

I brought it back to my bench, I used a psu tester. Nothing. I replaced the psu with a brand new unit with only the motherboard and the P4 plugs attached. A faint wisp of smoke began to come from the back of the new psu, so I pulled the plug. In retesting the psu, it tests good, but I am afraid to reapply it to the mobo.

My question, what is the likelyhood that the memory is causing this? With no cpu available to swap, my only other thought is memory. I don't relish the thought of tossing a stick in and try powering up-or without memory, and have the psu go south this time around. Like I said, brand new psu!(500W, to boot!)

Any thoughts or offerings on this matter would be appreciated.
    jerryg
    jeradsyn
    A+/MCPx2

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Check the motherboard for bulging capacitors/burnt areas. The motherboard is probably toast from the previous power supply.
    Sergeant WOTPP

I checked all components, and none appear bulging, cracked, discolored, nor does the board 'smell of burnt electronics'.
    jerryg
    jeradsyn
    A+/MCPx2

I had an E-machine with a bad power supply too. After the PS was replaced, the MB was still toasted. Replacing both got it up and running. My MB had to signs of being bad, other than it would not close the contact to turn on the PS.

I found the replacement MB on Ebay - bought it for $10 and it works like a champ!!!

Had almost the exact same thing happen just yesterday..replaced the psu and still no boot up, but overheating smell coming from psu..finally tracked it down to the mb by finding a capacitor that was neither swollen or bulging, but had a film of electrolyte on one side..just off the lower end of the first memory slot. I love E Macines!
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

On an emachine its hardly worth toasting another power supply unless you have an old one sitting around. Motherboard is likely toast
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Thanks folks, for your input. I have spoken with the owner and convenced him to replace mobo/cpu to be on the safe side. Hopefully, whichever caused the other to go bad, didn't take out the memory or any of his drives!

I appreciate your time.
    jerryg
    jeradsyn
    A+/MCPx2