Ask Stalemate
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Stalemate

Ask Stalemate

You'll recall similar threads if you've been here a while when I used to do them under the guise of "Ask Grendizer the 100-foot space robot."

Well, this is exactly like that. I was feeling a little nostalgic.

Except for the 100-foot space robot part.

Ask me anything.

Go on.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

What does "Doo Waa Diddy" mean? (With apologies to Leon Redbone.)
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

If a quantum computer's qbits cannot be sampled in an intermediate state, how would one go about debugging a program written on such a computer without invalidating the final result of the computation?

If squids do like peanut butter, why then do motorbikes have no doors?

Why do dogs have black lips?

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    When animals are killed on the roadways,What is the persons occupation that removes them?How much are they paid?Please do not refer to vultures and other scavengers.Only address the 2 questions asked.

Listen... please answer Street1 question prompt. You know. I am mening now! I am having about 100 dead animals I am wanting to trasfer to DVD. Am I needing a paper shredder and a funnel? What hose size?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Squid
    What does "Doo Waa Diddy" mean? (With apologies to Leon Redbone.)

Nothing.

Nothing at all.

Expect visitors late at night this week.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by rgharper
    If a quantum computer's qbits cannot be sampled in an intermediate state, how would one go about debugging a program written on such a computer without invalidating the final result of the computation?

I googled this for you. Google is a search engine used to look up stuff on the Internet. You should try it at www.google.com.

The important stuff is in bold.

"Richard Feynman was among the first to recognize the potential in quantum superposition for solving such problems much much faster. For example, a system of 500 qubits, which is impossible to simulate classically, represents a quantum superposition of as many as 2500 states. Each state would be classically equivalent to a single list of 500 1's and 0's. Any quantum operation on that system --a particular pulse of radio waves, for instance, whose action might be to execute a controlled-NOT operation on the 100th and 101st qubits-- would simultaneously operate on all 2500 states. Hence with one fell swoop, one tick of the computer clock, a quantum operation could compute not just on one machine state, as serial computers do, but on 2500 machine states at once! Eventually, however, observing the system would cause it to collapse into a single quantum state corresponding to a single answer, a single list of 500 1's and 0's, as dictated by the measurement axiom of quantum mechanics. The reason this is an exciting result is because this answer, derived from the massive quantum parallelism achieved through superposition, is the equivalent of performing the same operation on a classical super computer with ~10150 separate processors (which is of course impossible)!! "

I still say that applying a LART to the machine instead of the user will yield pretty much the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by houseisland
    If squids do like peanut butter, why then do motorbikes have no doors?

Silly... Have you ever seen a leprechaun?

Well, there you go.

More answers tommorow. Must go watch CSY: NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalemate
    Silly... Have you ever seen a leprechaun?
    Well.. yes. But not without the assistance of large quantities of Jameson's or Bushmill's usige beatha.

Well, there you go.
    Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?

I googled this for you. Google is a search engine used to look up stuff on the Internet. You should try it at www.google.com.
    I could have had my analyst Google it - but thanks. Anyway, you've re-stated the problem ... but ... I don't see an answer to the problem in there.

We've been using Schrodinger's Cat to try to sample the qubit matrix but that approach has two problems: (1) The cat cannot speak or write so having it communicate its findings is difficult; and (2) Half the time the darn cat comes out of the box dead so we can't even try to get an answer.

We've tried to improve on the model using what I call "Schrodinger's Lab Assistant" (patent pending) but they don't seem too keen for the job when we explain the potential side-effects of it.

In the meantime we're catching heat from management, we're going through cats like water through a trough, and the ASPCA is eyeing us rather suspiciously at this point since there aren't any cats alive within a ten block radius of my lab ...

I still say that applying a LART to the machine instead of the user will yield pretty much the same results.
    That would cause a result - lowering my blood pressure - but not the result I need.

Please do give your attention to our problem soonest.

Why are Martians green when Mars is called the red planet?
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

May I mamuu dogface to the banana patch?