My SONY DVD RW DRU-530A does not write cds anymore - only dvds

Thread: My SONY DVD RW DRU-530A does not write cds anymore - only dvds

My SONY DVD RW DRU-530A does not write cds anymore - only dvds

I hope I am in the right forum. My question deals with the SONY DVD RW DRU-530A unit. It no longer writes regular blank cd media. I can burn all the dvds I want and read them but when I try to burn any CD media, not burner program can either adequately detect my burner or if it does, it cannot burn anything with it. Like if it was disables or something. I updated my drivers for the burner but still nothing. I have also tried different burner programs but all of them are unable to work to burn regular cds. I hope I have not missed anything but can anyone help me please? Thank you for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by harleysjoker
    I hope I am in the right forum. My question deals with the SONY DVD RW DRU-530A unit. It no longer writes regular blank cd media. I can burn all the dvds I want and read them but when I try to burn any CD media, not burner program can either adequately detect my burner or if it does, it cannot burn anything with it. Like if it was disables or something. I updated my drivers for the burner but still nothing. I have also tried different burner programs but all of them are unable to work to burn regular cds. I hope I have not missed anything but can anyone help me please? Thank you for the help.
    Right click on your Sony burner (in My Computer), select properties and see if there is a "Recording" tab. If not, follow this: CD-R or CD-RW not recognized as a recordable drive.

If there is a Recording tab, then the laser could be dirty, so get a drive cleaner and run it.
    ya'aa'tey

XP Pro SP2 - Intel D925XCV MB - P4 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, HTT, socket 775 - WD 36GB SATA HD - WD 250GB USB2 External HD - 2GB Crucial DDR2 PC2-4200 - Sony DRU-710A DVD±R/RW - Plextor CD-R Premium - XFX GeForce 7900 GT / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV - Samsung 19" LCD - Antec Performance Plus SOHO server case with 430W PSU

Thank you for the help. I did exactly as I was instructed but I still cannot write with the drive. It shows all properties being "checked" for burning but no program can recognize it. I also use CopytoDvd and it sees the drive but stalls when asked to put in a media. I did the regedit but nothing. Am I missing something? Thank you for all the help.

Try here maybe.

This is if you are using XP, if not then disregard.

Click XP Utilities(I believe that is it), then scroll and find "Restore CD/DVD Drives" or something like that...

I can't believe I am 86.

To the last thread, thanks for the help (and I hope it helps) but I was not able to find XP utilities or something of the kind anywhere. Could you try again. Thanks in advance. I noticed also that it won't read CD-R either or any of non-DVD types.

Quote Originally Posted by harleysjoker
    To the last thread, thanks for the help (and I hope it helps) but I was not able to find XP utilities or something of the kind anywhere. Could you try again. Thanks in advance. I noticed also that it won't read CD-R either or any of non-DVD types.

There is the possbility that the drive is dead.
    ya'aa'tey

XP Pro SP2 - Intel D925XCV MB - P4 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, HTT, socket 775 - WD 36GB SATA HD - WD 250GB USB2 External HD - 2GB Crucial DDR2 PC2-4200 - Sony DRU-710A DVD±R/RW - Plextor CD-R Premium - XFX GeForce 7900 GT / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV - Samsung 19" LCD - Antec Performance Plus SOHO server case with 430W PSU

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Thank you.