AverTV DVB-T 775 flashes a windows blue screen and restarts PC!!!?

Thread: AverTV DVB-T 775 flashes a windows blue screen and restarts PC!!!?

AverTV DVB-T 775 flashes a windows blue screen and restarts PC!!!?

Hello peeps, I recently got given a AverTV DVB-T 771 Tv card and upon installing it apeard fine, I ran the tv software that came with it and put it onto bbc1 to test it, i got the tv fine and the sound was good - great I thaught then about 15 to 30 seconds in windows xp gave me a blink of a blue screen error followed by my pc crashing back to the POST screen. I figured maybe it didnt have enough free resources so I went into the bios and turned off things I dont use - Floppy drive, Sata channels, Paralelle port and the like. I rebooted and tried again, yep only a few seconds in and I am back on arse at the POST screen. My system is a pentium 4 @ 2.8gig with 512meg of Kingston 333mhz ram in dual channel mode, Video card is ATI x850 GTO PCI-E with 2x160 Gig ATA 133
    Western digital Harddisks, Samsung DVD-RW and Samsung CDRW - Running windows XP Media centre edition fully updated with windows update and service pack 2. Please help me. Thank you in advance.

I am already running windows xp? and I have already tried reinstall the tv card, any other ideas?

The avertv software will be your culprit - its terribly buggy to say the least !

Without looking up the particular model, I'd suggest you find yourself some other TV viewing software to use with your device that supports either WDM or BDA type device drivers (this is what I needed to look up) such as showshifter (that supports either, but is a resource hog & requires a pretty powerful beastie, with lots of memory) .

thanks for the ideas peeps, unfortunately still no joy - I have tried chris tv and dscaler but becasue its a digital tv card they dont support it. I tried the card in my old machine, a pentium 4 1.4 gig and it works flawlessly. What is stopping it working on my new machine? I downloaded the latest drivers but they dont make any differance. any ohter ideas?

There is no 'overlay' option in the avertv software that you can set (least not in any versions I've tried - & afaik, I've tried 'em all !, the options are really limited) - the nearest you get option wise is 'dxva' support - which enables/disables hardware aceleration by your video card & should improve performance - you can try ticking that & see if that helps ..

All of Avertv's digital products are designed for Windows media centre edition 'really' which doesn't require the player software as the operating system does the playing natively, I had endless problems with my USB digital box from then & 'gave up' & connected it to a machine with media centre on it

This answer at Avertv's support pages might also be helpful - after a few minute the system reboots

WhatWrong ? its simple !

You say you're running XP Media Centre , the drivers do not support MCE only XP Home & Pro editions.... I have the same problem on mine ... unless someone knows how to then let us all know !

Quote Originally Posted by Dafydd
    You say you're running XP Media Centre , the drivers do not support MCE only XP Home & Pro editions....
    I didn't say I was running a 771 with MCE, I said Avertv is buggy(& was thus making suggestions to use something/anything but their own player software) & if your card has BDA style drivers, use MCE with it as that ought to be able to use the drivers direct without need for any 3rd party s/w ..

All of Aver's 'digital range' was originally supposed to support BDA, but various differences in broadcast technology around the planet for things like MHEG5 (glorified teletext, for when you 'press the red button' etc), & an inability to provide support for playing recordings whilst also watching live (one of the features of the BDA set) have meant that they have backtracked on this position. & you are correct Aver currently have no plans to produce a bda style driver for this device.