I am about to take this computer out to the back and shoot it, that light at the end of the tunnel was a train
I went out and bought and LG cdrw drive and installed it, then I popped the cd into it and expected it to spin up and display the dialouge
Ya right, the drive chugged along at .5x and then just quit, I opened the " My computer " icon and the stupide drive had dissappeared from "My computer" and it did not show up in device manager , It had three minutes earlier as I checked before popping in the cd
I did the Windows reinstall with this drive and it stalled out then spun up during the install, I used my factory cd, It was burned with a setup.sif file so I could avoid typing in that product code, which is hard to read
The result is a messed up Windows installation, I get script errors when opening the user accounts in control panel
I used nlite to compile the cd
So the drive is going back and I may toss them my computer , I am not getting another optical drive , It seems that there is too much junk out there
What would a good drive be to work with the Lanparty board ( If I keep it ) , I am totaly stumped and frustrated, I may wind up buying an off the shelf system and scrapping this thing for parts
All I want is a computer that works, reads cds and dvdsm, burns them , games, Internet, Maybe a Mac is in order?
Or an older box like the tank I am on now running Linux ?
Anyone want a slightly used PC ?