Making Access97 database work in Access 2000.

Thread: Making Access97 database work in Access 2000.

Making Access97 database work in Access 2000.

Hello gurus:

I just installed Access 2000 on my PC, created a new database and imported all the objects from an Access 97 database into it. But I am having difficulty getting it to work correctly. When I try to open the form, Access just closes down. Then, when I try to open the database again, I get the message:
    "The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin'on machine 'xxx' that prevents it from being opened or locked."
    I am the only person who ever uses this database. The form and the tables are not split into 2 parts, but I don't think that is the problem.

Can someone tell me what is wrong here. Evidently, something needs to be done to the form or to the code in the form to get it to work in Access 2000. But what?

Any informed suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You.

Have you tried simply making a copy of the original 97 version of your DB and opening it straight from Access2000?Imports do weird things to data sometimes...
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Yes

Yes, I tried that. That did not work either.
    After I do the conversion, when I try to open the database, Access simply shuts down. There seems to be a problem with the code in the main form, but I don't know what. Thanks for your post.

Clarification

I should also point out that the conversion I just described was only possible by pressing Shift when opening the database. Without pressing shift, Access simply closes when I try to open the database.

And If I press Shift to open the converted database, I am not allowed to troubleshoot by making changes to the code -- I keep getting a message stating that "You do not have exclusive access to the database. Your design changes can not be saved."
    Without this ability to troubleshoot, I don't know how to resolve the problem.
    Last edited by Faith007; March 8th, 2006 at 04:58 PM.

Have you tried converting the Access 97 DB without opening it? Just open Access 2000, with no database, open the Database tools and select the convert to current version option. You should be able to drill down to your Access 97 DB and select it for conversion. Save it under another name and it should be okay.

Since you had to use the Shift method of opening the DB in edit mode, it makes me think you have three possible situations: you are working with an mde and not an mdb, or you have options in StartUp causing it to open the form when started, or you have an AutoExec module, which does the same.

Another possibility, which we ran into when converting 97 to 2000, was the network rights problem. You need to have rights to create hyperlinks on your machine, if it is a Windows 2000 box, to run the old app properly. You also need to have full rights to the folder the networked database resides in. There may be other rights quirks I have forgotten, but they are worth looking into, especially if you used the Access Security stuff in the old app.
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Faith007
    I keep getting a message stating that "You do not have exclusive access to the database. Your design changes can not be saved."
    I must be tired, as I missed this completely. Sorry. That error message almost certainly nails it as a network rights issue.
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

Sorry for not closing this sooner. I found the solution. It was just a small piece of code that was wrong. When I open the main form of the app, the code was written to close the Access window, because I don't need to see it. But Access 2000 does not let you do this. Instead you have to minimize the Access Window.
    Also, my code was not closing the database properly upon shutdown. That's why I was having the database access problems. I fixed both issues.