NEWS: Intel invents 5GHz stock cooler

Thread: NEWS: Intel invents 5GHz stock cooler

NEWS: Intel invents 5GHz stock cooler

Intel has created a self-contained watercooling unit that is capable of cooling an overclocked Pentium Extreme Edition CPU running at 5GHz.
    It consists of a block unit which attaches to the processor. This contains the copper core which makes contact with the CPU, as well as a centrifugal pump which uses a DC brushless motor. This pumps the water up through solid metal tubing to a more traditional radiator, cooled by a 120mm fan. The integration of the cold plate improves thermal performance. The main body of the unit is made of injection-moulded plastic. Intel's R&D labs have the most outrageous equipment for measurements and designing, meaning that this has been designed to last for more than three years without leaking, failing or requiring a top-up of coolant.

Because of the unique elements of the design, such as the centrifugal pump, solid tubing, precise engineering etc, it is ludicrously powerful. We saw a unit up and running, cooling a 3.8GHz Extreme Edition chip to 5.01GHz (with the RAM and FSB overclocked). The temperature on the processor was 62 celcius, well within operating parameters. The unit will fit ATX and BTX boards. Intel is currently looking to work with a technology partner to developer commercial coolers around this design. Because Intel designed it to be assembled from commonly made parts, final retail coolers are expected to cost less than $50!

And, in a similar vein , Naomi Watts is expected to ravish me insensible and take me to live with her in Tahiti. Real Soon Now.

Not that I doubt that you and Naomi are indeed a hot item ...

This doesn't surprise me in the least. One of the biggest problems facing data centers today is heat dissipation. Blade units are getting denser by the day, servers run high-horsepower CPUs with huge drive arrays and gigs of memory. For one or two PCs in your living room (or bedroom or den or ...) it ain't no big thing but major corporations are having major problems keeping their equipment cool.

Add something like this that efficiently takes the hundreds of watts of heat that an Intel processor pumps out and moves it to the backplane of the rack where passive and active cooling can be applied and you have just solved the biggest part of your heat problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rgharper
    Not that I doubt that you and Naomi are indeed a hot item ...

This doesn't surprise me in the least. One of the biggest problems facing data centers today is heat dissipation. Blade units are getting denser by the day, servers run high-horsepower CPUs with huge drive arrays and gigs of memory. For one or two PCs in your living room (or bedroom or den or ...) it ain't no big thing but major corporations are having major problems keeping their equipment cool.

Add something like this that efficiently takes the hundreds of watts of heat that an Intel processor pumps out and moves it to the backplane of the rack where passive and active cooling can be applied and you have just solved the biggest part of your heat problem.
    I found this an interesting read the other day, and as you brought up servers:

Is DC the power to solve heat problems?
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6044933.html

Ah, if only.

I did like the part where they talked about a 48v rail blowing itself into pieces and causing catastrophic damage, though. I have users with the same potential.

Well a micro compressor expander unit and very thin gap to skin it with treated air can be a positive solution to heat dissipation.

Well a micro compressor expander unit and very thin gap between processor and shield to skin it with treated air can be a positive solution to heat dissipation.