computer case

Thread: computer case

computer case

hi!!, i am pat o, i decided to purchase an msi K8N Diamond Plus NVIDIA socket939 ATX mother board, my question is : can i use a mid tower case for this mother board? i appriciate any help for this. im new to this.

thanks,
    pat.o

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    Yes you can.

You should use a minimum 450W PSU preferably with a 24 pin connector
    The lunatics are running the Country

case and memory slot and memory capacity

thank you for your reply,ill follow your advice.
    pat o

i just want additional info.
    my mainboard support four memory card and the spec.says it can support up to 4MB. i want to know that if i buy only one memory card of 1MB, does my computer works?, or it really needs 4 memory card, also if it works on one card and i decide to use 2 memory card (0.5 MB each) then, is this two card have the equivalent to the 1 MB card performance? which is more advantage between the two option? one card (1MB)? or 2card(at 0.5MB each). and if i want to utilize the 4MB capacity then i may buy 4 of the 1MB card? please assist me more on this issue. im new and i have not read this in my research, prpbably it has this info but better if i ask your experience.
    tnx.
    Last edited by pat o; March 18th, 2006 at 08:56 AM. Reason: additional info request

Quote Originally Posted by constructor
    You should use a minimum 450W PSU preferably with a 24 pin connector
    If your 939 board is pci-e then you want 450watts, as said, & a psu described as 'ATX 2.0' compliant (that means it has wires for the 12v feed any pci-e graphics adapter may need) .. if your motherboard doesn't have pci-e, then you can get away with about 300-350w, & some ATX 1.x spec psu, as long as that supply has a 24 pin connector (you can add an adaptor to any 20 pin supply, if there's no 12 v requirement, very cheaply, from about £3).

But my main reason for posting, is to point out that PSU's are not an item you want to scrimp on - & if you want specific advice rather than general - try us with some 'is this one good enough?' type questions, linking to the item in question .

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    If your 939 board is pci-e then you want 450watts, as said, & a psu described as 'ATX 2.0' compliant (that means it has wires for the 12v feed any pci-e graphics adapter may need) .. if your motherboard doesn't have pci-e, then you can get away with about 300-350w, & some ATX 1.x spec psu, as long as that supply has a 24 pin connector (you can add an adaptor to any 20 pin supply, if there's no 12 v requirement, very cheaply, from about £3).

But my main reason for posting, is to point out that PSU's are not an item you want to scrimp on - & if you want specific advice rather than general - try us with some 'is this one good enough?' type questions, linking to the item in question .
    Congratulations

You have confused the issue (again)

Board is PCI-E 450 is required (min) It runs fine on a Hiper 450 or 480 or similar (reasonable not cheap.)

It will happliy run with a 20 pin connector ( But I PERSONALLY would not recommend it)

This related to earlier issus with onboard sound but I now now this is resolved with the new boards.

Memory - extremelly tolerant

Built about 20 and all been OK

Quality is good
    The lunatics are running the Country

Quote Originally Posted by constructor
    Congratulations

You have confused the issue (again)..
    No dude, I just answered more broadly than you did, all of these answers will get read by far many more people, eventually, than just pat o ..

So just for the record ;-

All pci-e capable motherboards want around 450+ watts, those with two sli slots want at least 500w, prefereably 550+ .. & these supplies should be labelled as 'ATX 2' compliant

Those boards with agp cards on them need less power, & a 'mid tower case' will probably be enough for these generally being 300-350w & you don't need the newest ATX standard for these