pqi memory problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pqi memory problem

pqi memory problem

i have a 512m pqi ram ddr-400
    the ram is defective and pqi will not exchange it without a proof of purchase
    i bought it at a local swap meet and never got a receipt nor do i remember who i bought it from
    does anyone have a receipt for this ram that they could 'loan' me
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by irv6744
    i have a 512m pqi ram ddr-400
    the ram is defective and pqi will not exchange it without a proof of purchase
    i bought it at a local swap meet and never got a receipt nor do i remember who i bought it from
    does anyone have a receipt for this ram that they could 'loan' me
    thanks

That would be illegal and against the rules of these boards, I'm almost certain, to even ask.

Have you tried to contact the PQI customer service department? Perhaps they may be able to help without the proof of purchase if you can supply the srial number and/or the warranty card.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

yeah i guess you are right about that. sorry
    pqi told me no proof of purchase = no rma
    annoying. kingston never cared about proof of purchase
    so if anyone has a use for a 512 stick of ddr400 pqi ram that doesn't work, pm me with name and address and i will mail it out

Quote Originally Posted by irv6744
    yeah i guess you are right about that. sorry
    pqi told me no proof of purchase = no rma
    annoying. kingston never cared about proof of purchase
    so if anyone has a use for a 512 stick of ddr400 pqi ram that doesn't work, pm me with name and address and i will mail it out

So sorry to hear that.

Perhaps you'd like to link them to this thread to encourage them to change their policy, as I'm fairly sure that 54,000 users and IT techs *not* recommending their company because of this lack of long-term support may have an impact.

Just a thought... but this may be even more controversial than your own original post.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

That sucks

I hate companies like that. I have run into instances where the receipt was printed on some sort of wax paper and the information wore away and I couldn't get an RMA. It was that point I started scanning in my receipts and saving them electronically.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

I'm trying to figure out just why anyone would think it appropriate for a company that sold a product to guarantee the product even though it had been sold, and then resold at least once without the company having any idea what was done to the product since it's sale. Memory can be damaged in many ways that have nothing to do with it's original 'defects in materials or workmanship' warranty. Why should the original manufacturer give you money for something that someone else has had, used, and then resold..at a flea market of all things?
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Good Point

Thats a good point, which is why I never buy products from those small supposed computer shows. Most things there appear shady and all look to be used. I much rather spend a few $$$ more from a reputable company.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    Whats the use in saying lifetime warrenty if the company is saying if you bought it second hand, etc. their not going to honor the warrenty.
    Lifetime warranty terms require original proof of purchase docs, which arguably(but usually are termed to mean) the warranty is intended for use by the original purchaser with the usual caveats as listed in PQI's warranty terms such as allowing an unauthorized third party to install, etc. resulting in damage, when outside forces cause damage, when they are left in an unsuited environment causing damages, etc. etc. In short, the warranty warrants the product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship, not that the product is warranted to be able to withstand any abuse at all.
    Computer Rescue Service

Thats the key. It has to fit into their warranty terms. I know plenty of manufacturers that will honor warranties even if you are a second hand owner. I guess he is just upset because he has no proof of purchase and they will not honor warranty or even bother looking up manufacturing date. I have RMA'd parts without receipt and they went from manufacturing date for the warranty, but that is up to the company. And if it is a lifetime warranty why should it matter who owns it, but again it is up to their terms not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    I'm trying to figure out just why anyone would think it appropriate for a company that sold a product to guarantee the product even though it had been sold, and then resold at least once without the company having any idea what was done to the product since it's sale. Memory can be damaged in many ways that have nothing to do with it's original 'defects in materials or workmanship' warranty. Why should the original manufacturer give you money for something that someone else has had, used, and then resold..at a flea market of all things?

Not to nitpick, but the original purchaser could have done Real Nasty Things™ to the RAM stick himself so I don't think that argument doesn't applies to justify their decision. If a warranty is listed as "lifetime", then that shouldn't necessarily be the accompanying paperwork's lifetime but also the actual product.

But I do see your point.

Personally, I still would not recommend this company, simply for it's not offering other ways for customers/users to be able to RMA the hardware. Not because I disagree, but just because that is the way theychoose to operate and I would pprefer to point my own customers elsewhere to give them the best service I can.

It does reflect on me after all.
    Last edited by Stalemate; March 13th, 2006 at 04:49 PM.

Not to nitpick, but the original purchaser could have done Real Nasty Things™ to the RAM stick himself and if a warranty is listed as "lifetime", then that shouldn't necessarily be the accompanying paperwork's lifetime but also the actual product.
    True..and if those things are things not covered by the warranty, the manufacturer is within thier rights not to offer the service. However, stop and think about "lifetime" for a minute..it does not mean the lifetime of the product..it means the lifetime of the purchaser. Otherwise, companies would be honoring warranties on old 72 pin SIMMS that were handed down from father to son for millennnia. The usual court determinations (and a warranty IS a legal document) are that lifetime means the lifespan of the original purchaser.

I too want my customers to have the best service available, and spend a lot of money making sure they do..and one of the ways that I would advise them is that when they buy parts at a flea market, they should probably not expect too much in the way of any support from the seller or the manufacturer.
    Computer Rescue Service

thats why you buy from an authorized dealer. Anyone buying on ebay is well aware that other than ebay warranties, and dealer warranties that sell new products..everything is suspect and you need to check out the seller ratings of who you deal with..the deal and any problems are between you and the seller.
    Computer Rescue Service

You can disagree all you want. It doesn't change the warranty. (btw, not every other memory supplier offers that warranty to second hand buyers. here is Crucials:
    Crucial warrants to the original customer purchasing products directly from Crucial that all such products sold will be free from defects in materials and workmanship affecting form, fit and function. Any claim alleging that any product fails to conform to the foregoing warranty may be made only by the customer who purchased such product and only while such customer owns such product.
    and here is Kingston's:

KINGSTON TECHNOLOGY COMPANY, INC. ("Kingston") warrants to the original end user customer of its products specified below that its products are free from defects in material and workmanship.
    Computer Rescue Service

Well, here is Western Digitals:

No limited warranty is provided by WD unless your WD Product ("Product") was purchased from an authorized distributor or authorized reseller. Distributors may sell Products to resellers who then sell Products to end users. Please see below for warranty information or obtaining service.
    and
    WD will have no liability for any Product returned if WD determines that:

cannot reasonably be fixed because of damage occurring when the Product is in the possession of someone other than WD, or
    is attributable to misuse, improper installation, alteration (including removing or obliterating labels and opening or removing external covers (unless authorized to do so by Western Digital or an authorized Service Center)), accident or mishandling while in the possession of someone other than WD.
    The Product was not sold to you as new.
    and here is the base for Samsungs:
    The warranty period begins on the original date of purchase, applies to the original purchaser, and covers defects in material or workmanship.
    Computer Rescue Service

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    ...I too want my customers to have the best service available, and spend a lot of money making sure they do..and one of the ways that I would advise them is that when they buy parts at a flea market, they should probably not expect too much in the way of any support from the seller or the manufacturer.

Quoted for sad, honest, truth.

Especially when there are such great deals to be had now either online or at local shops.