HP ADVENT LOOPING Found problem need help

Thread: HP ADVENT LOOPING Found problem need help

HP ADVENT LOOPING Found problem need help

Posting results I had removed bios battery, and still dat dat dat whirrr dat dat dat whirrr. then reinstalled battery and removed memory. powered up and
    beeeep beeeep beeep. Powered down and reinstalled memory (RAM).
    Powered back up and it went to bios setup. saved and got out of bios setup.
    DAT DAT DAT whirrrr DAT DAT DAT. FELT LIKE WANTING TO kick out second floor window. Had Seagate 4.3 gig preloaded with win 98. Installed and all
    good. except win 98 did not reconize new system. Now Question??????
    How do I find a very powerful boot disk to stop loop on harddrive so i can
    erase and reinstall. I placed Floppy in drive when in loop but No dice it
    would not read it.

Can I use magnet to erase????????
    Last edited by xpuser357; March 18th, 2006 at 08:21 AM.

When you got into the BIOS setup, were all the options set appropriately? Particularly boot order (eg if HDD is set as first boot device, then you can't interrupt the boot with a floppy disk), and correct FDD type (some BIOS default to the wrong type).

If these seem to be correct, I'd suggest starting with no drives connected to the board, to see if it halts with "no boot device" message. If it does, then connect up the FDD and try to boot from a known good DOS boot disk. If the board can't boot this way, then you're probably wasting time trying to get hard drives to work properly. At least that would give us something to go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    When you got into the BIOS setup, were all the options set appropriately? Particularly boot order (eg if HDD is set as first boot device, then you can't interrupt the boot with a floppy disk), and correct FDD type (some BIOS default to the wrong type).

If these seem to be correct, I'd suggest starting with no drives connected to the board, to see if it halts with "no boot device" message. If it does, then connect up the FDD and try to boot from a known good DOS boot disk. If the board can't boot this way, then you're probably wasting time trying to get hard drives to work properly. At least that would give us something to go on.
    Actually When I went to bios Stupid me I did not go to boot seguence just date and time. I pulled harddrive in question and used other drive had 98 already installed and after boot up it saw things on main board it needed to load drivers. So I think something is on original drive giving the loop

I will try what you suggested and post back.
    Thanks
    Last edited by xpuser357; March 18th, 2006 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xpuser357
    other drive had 98 already installed and after boot up it saw things on main board it needed to load drivers. So I think something is on original drive giving the loop
    That sounds right. Win98 will go hunting for drivers when it finds itself on a different system. The original drive having NTDETECT problems may need a repair install of Windows, but you'd need the Win2k or XP CD. Or the noises you're hearing may indicate a faulty hard drive...
    Last edited by Platypus; March 18th, 2006 at 09:48 AM.

Noises I was hearing is floppy and then cd rom spinning up.
    I guess I did not explin clear on last post but some reason they go away real fast and then you cannot referr to other post

Noises I was hearing is floppy and then cd rom spinning up.
    So the FDD seek is enabled in the BIOS setup, is there a CD in the ROM drive to cause it to spin up?

..Can I use magnet to erase????????
    Err yeah you can as long as you want your drive to be useless afterwards !

Hard-drives might contain magnets (try this on an OLD one if you are curious) & they might even be based on lots of electro-magnetic theory & physics, but you don't want a hard-drive near any big magnets that aren't supposed to be there as you'll disturb the balance of the magnetic fields & move the poles apart from where they should be, which'll then permanently affect your drive & probably render it useless.

My data destruction business has two essential tools - one, a big fat magnet from an electric train (which is about a foot long & weighs about 25lbs) & two, a six pound lump hammer ! Though if I'm feeling particularly irked that day, I may use my 12lb hammer !

So the FDD seek is enabled in the BIOS setup, is there a CD in the ROM drive to cause it to spin up?

nothing in floppy or cd rom. Have anybody seen this happen. is
    there a possibility that it is a virus? Also I found out by nieces
    husband that computer was setup with C&D D backup using recover
    disk. I remember with my compaq 7478 years ago had two disks that would
    format and reload but also had D backup.
    There case they do not have two disks. computer was preloaded and
    sold with only recover cd. I guess they are up river with no paddle.

..suggest starting with no drives connected to the board, to see if it halts with "no boot device" message. If it does, then connect up the FDD and try to boot from a known good DOS boot disk..
    Do this bit dude ! - back to front cables produce pretty much the symptoms you are describing

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Do this bit dude ! - back to front cables produce pretty much the symptoms you are describing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I removed harddrive from IDE cable and booted up no operating system found
    then reconnected and same thing. could not see what was in floppy.
    I used 98 start up disk. WHEN YOU SAY front to back I am getting confused . I think of board on side or bottom depending on how you stand computer to operate. Back would be power connection, video, audio,Printer,
    ETC. FRONT would be on button cd roms ETC, When using 98 harddrive we had no problems with loop. I just unplugged failed drive and plugged in 98 drive IDE AND POWER and had it laying at bottom of case (tower).
    Back to Front cables?

.. WHEN YOU SAY front to back I am getting confused ..
    IDE cables have little notches on them (almost always now, but originally not) so that you can't put them in the wrong way around or 'back to front', Floppy cables still very often do not, so its worth the trouble to check that you can boot from floppy to make sure the cable hasn't got a twist in it that it shouldn't have & that 'pin1' is always where is should be ... see this if you still aren't 'receiving' my meaning

Yes sir I got it. I always put red stripe on IDE next to power plug on Harddrive,
    CDrom. and floppy if I have one. (floppy) but I also check receptacle and plug
    for slots or blanks.