HDD: "click...click...click..." operating system not found... GRRRR!

Thread: HDD: "click...click...click..." operating system not found... GRRRR!

HDD: "click...click...click..." operating system not found... GRRRR!

Alright...back to my horrible system like last time...

My compy has not been connected to the internet for close to 6 months. AVG wouldn't update properly from a burned disk when I tried, so I wiped out AVG and got a clean updated install from a disk. scanned, nothing. OS was working as good as it has been...which has been crappy anyway because my VIA bus master controllers aren't right and won't reset (but that's been going on for a long while now, no big problems have errupted until now.). So anywho...

We just bought a new compy, connected to cable internet, new router, etc. works fine. I connected my compy to the 'net, updated AVG, windows update, etc. Then, while browsing a webpage, my system locks. The hard drive itself began making a clicking noise. Panic arises. I haven't backed up my system since I disconnected it from the net 6 months ago. I don't have a copy of XP pro on a disk to perform a repair install. I'm up shmidt creek.

Hard boot... system takes longer than normal to find hardware settings (dos-like screen). eventually the CD-roms show up...then I'm waiting for the spash screen...nada... then I get the feared words:

no operating system found

I tried 4 hard boots since. I'm thinking my compy got hit by a sleeping virus. it was working fine while it was not connected to the net. any ideas? haven't tried safe mode...haven't had time. I am thinking about installing Linux and getting it over with, but I prefer XP for ease of program compatability.

I have an extra hard drive...I'm thinking of installing linux on it and using the compy with linux until I can find a copy of XP pro to perform a repair install. I have the CD-key and all...but no CD. Can I download a trial of XP pro onto a disk, and then put in my registration key for the full version? the thought just crossed my mind.

sorry for the long post, just ate a lot of sugar for breakfast.

my specs should still be in my siggy. thanks for any and all help!
    My specs: 900 MHz AMD T-Bird, Asus K7M Mobo., 256 MB RAM (two 128 MB Kingston SD PC-100), GeCube Radeon 9200 SE 128mb (drivers were impossible to find...still crashes because of them every now and then...i think its them...), Sound Blaster Live! 5.1, new high-speed USB 2.0 card, dual 60 GB HDD's for the heck of it (NTFS), XP Pro SP 2, Mozilla Firefox (Spread Firefox!), single-barrel carberator, Saitek P2500 Rumbleforce, (Yes, the system is dated, but it fits my budget!) - Sockhatguy

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    sounds like your hard drive died. run the manufacturers diagnostics on it. Go to their website and download them.
    Sergeant WOTPP