IRQ holder for PCI IRQ steering issues

Thread: IRQ holder for PCI IRQ steering issues

Question IRQ holder for PCI IRQ steering issues

WinME constantly lists IRQ holders for PCI steering as problem devices in it's System Info tool (error code 22). I did some research at MS on IRQ steering and I believe I have an idea what they are really for.

Prehaps if someone knows what Error Code 22 is, the solution might be simple.

I've reconfigured my PCI bus properties (in the System Properties box) to a) Use BIOS for Device enumeration
    b) Get IRQ table using ACPI BIOS.

Once I tried removing the problem devices, BIG mistake.

I have plenty of free IRQ so IRQ steering isn't really nessicary. Or wouldn't be, except on-board devices (USB controller etc) share IRQs with PCI slots.

Here some maybe helpful specs:
    MSI KT7 Pro-2a (MS-6330 Lite)
    (The onboard audio is disabled)
    Duron 750
    AGP: Voodoo 3 3500
    PCI1: empty
    PCI2: SB PCI512
    PCI3 & 4: empty
    PCI5: Realtek 8139 NIC
    no ISAs, one modem riser (also empty)

Do you have IRQ Steering turned off?

A while ago I noticed that when I turned the function off (was testing something) then the devices would show up as being problems, but when I turned it on the entries would go away.

Just a thought.

PZ

Yup, steering is enabled
    I have two holders that are on IRQs that are shared. Both of them are Problem Devices. Nice eh?

Some people have actually had better luck running with PCI steering from Microsoft table and not use ACPI. If you should want to try this make sure you have access to all your drivers handy because usually everything will be redetected.
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov

Thumbs up

paroxy, i have the same video card voodoo 3500 and a sb card on one of my computers and this combination of 3500+sb creates a lot of problems but they never really affect your overall pc configuration or functioning. the thing is that both cards uses too many resorces and i dont know why, but they like irq 10 a lot. the question is, Are u currently using usb devices? If not, disable the usb ports on your comp and this will free another piece of cake for your 2 hungry cards. youll see how the pci steering problems will die in flames. take care.

if you remove the PCI cards does the problem go away ?

is your install an upgrade or a fresh install ?

do you have the latest BIOS ?

make sure Pnp OS in bios is set to "No"

keep us posted..

Smile

I will try using the Micrsoft table Silverman.

Web Jedi you have the right idea, everything "seems" ok but this is MY computer the flagship of this small fleet of computers "problem devices" just won't do.
    Actually the PCI to USB host controller and the V3 are sharing IRQ 3, and the SB and the NIC are sharing IRQ 5. Unfortunatly I have plenty of USB devices, so disabling USB I hope is not an option.

Condor: Yes the problem does go away. When the PCI card is removed, so does the holder for pci steering so of course it is no longer listed as a problem device.
    This incarnation of Windows is fresh.
    Yup, I recently flashed to the lastest release of this bios.
    Actually PNP OS was set to YES, I changed it to NO but no difference...

But thank you for all of your suggestions so far!