Why RAID controllers & SATA plugs are so badly made and why I'll never use RAID again

Thread: Why RAID controllers & SATA plugs are so badly made and why I'll never use RAID again

Hybrid View

Lightbulb

Sounds like your running raid 0, which is the least secure of the raid varieties, Becuase your data is striped across two drives ( Split ) it is risky, so when one drive is disconnected or dies your data is useless
    Raid 1 is a mirered array and much more secure, If one of the drives dies or is diconnected your data is intact
    For the best of both worlds go with a raid 0+1 array of four drives , If one is disconnected the array will still function
    If you want to keep costs down, go with a fast SATA drive and a new SATA cable, Use a hard drive in an enclosue or your trusty tape drive for back ups
    I would avoid raid 0 altogether
    Now about your cables that fall of when you breathe hard, Try a littl glue as suggested to keep them in place
    I know on my DFI board ( N-force 4 ) I have fun trying to unplug the darn things , Maybe you got bad cables, try a new one
    Or after you move your machine double check those cables to make sure they stayed put
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

For the hard drive connections I cured the same problems by epoxy gluing a power and data connector together (used a duff drive to line them having put epoxy on the sides) works well and I have not had a 'fallen' data cable since, plus you dont need to renew those cables when the drives no longer any use. I got the idea from the WD Raptor connector which uses a block that plugs into the data cable port and locks into the power port, you have to use a molex for power, but those blocks will never fall out.

I agree entirely as an engineer the design of these things is pathetic and very amatuerish.