Firewire Problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Firewire Problem

Firewire Problem

Hi Guys,
    I'm a newbie here, and looking for help.
    I have just purchased a Belkin 3 port Firewire card, complete with 4 to 6 pin cable, software (incs Firenet pc and Ulead Video studio 5).
    I am running Win XP SP1 on an AMD1800 athlon pc, EPOX EP-8KHAL motherboard, 256mb ram. I also have a panasonic NV-DS99 digital video camera, which I wish to connect via firewire so I can burn my movies.
    The problem I have is that the software programs I have tried to use, My sonic Showbiz & movie editor, Video studio 5, Nero 6, are not recognizing the camera plugged into my pc. I have rang Belkin, they say the card is working correctly, even though it didnt fully install as per their instructions. I have also rung Panasonic, but they are of no help either.
    What I am wondering is if there is a seperate driver for the firewire card for my camera, as nothing seems to get captured when I play the movie in VCR mode.
    In Showbiz, the error message is "Cant connect to device". When I go to choose the camera in its settings panel, there is no device to choose from.
    In showbiz movie editor, it says " No valid video capture devices were detected. If you have a video device attached, make sure its a PAL device." (The camera is set to PAL mode!). In Ulead, it came up with an error message while installing, "Could not detect any DV drivers!" or something to that effect!!
    I tried to use Nero 6 but couldnt figure out how to capture or even start capturing the video, and I couldnt see the camera in any of its panels to select it from.
    I have looked in the Device Manager, but no camera is listed in there, only the (microsoft)1394 net adapter which is disabled as per Belkins instructions, Unibrain/belkin 1394 net adapter (enabled), and near the top of the list, 1394 OHCI bus host controller.
    Can anyone shed some light onto this. I have read several of your posts, before joining, but couldnt quite find anything that related to my problem.

Many thanks in advance.
    Frank!
    Last edited by BUDZZ; September 1st, 2004 at 10:53 PM.

Welcome to Windrivers Budzz

You are victim of incorrect enumeration.... or at least I think you are!

here are the details and the patch

Let me know if it works.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers Budzz

You are victim of incorrect enumeration.... or at least I think you are!

here are the details and the patch

Let me know if it works.
    Thanks NooNoo,
    Downloaded the patch, and went to install it, but it came up with an Q810032 Setup error message, "Setup has detected that the version of the Service Pack installed on your system is lower than what is necessary to apply this hotfix. At minimum, you must have Service Pack 1 installed."
    Funny thing is that I DO have SP1 installed???
    What am I missing here???

very odd.... maybe you only think sp1 is installed. Reinstall sp1 and try again.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hi,
    nope, when i go to help (ie6) > about internet explorer, it reads Update versions, SP1, Q828750,Q330994,Q824145.
    Unless im missing certain updates????
    BTW what do you mean by "enumerate?"
    Last edited by BUDZZ; September 4th, 2004 at 04:43 AM.

just because the help about says its sp1, doesn't mean that where the patch is looking is sp1!
    IE sp1 is NOT the same as windows xp sp1

Install sp1 for windows xp again.

Oh ok,
    Yeah just looked under system, and no mention of any service packs!
    Hmmmm back to the drawing board for me then!

OK!
    Now I've installed upgrades, and surprise surprise, my system is now noticing under Device Manager, that there is an 'Image' device installed.

Now my next problem is that windows cant find a suitable driver for it. I've tried with and without the camera plugged in, and also while on the net to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions. Panasonic are refusing to acknowledge that the camera needs a driver, but more so the software for the video editiong needs it.

I'd be gratefeul for any help as Im starting to overheat my chipset!!! LOL!!

did you install the patch?
    Does it show the correct model number?
    Have you tried using movie maker or the ulead?

Panasonic are correct. What you may need is motherboard drivers.

OK!
    Well I'll try and keep it short and sweet!
    After installing the patch, the next day when I restarted, 'found new hardware' popped up with an "image" device found. I followed the instructions, and one of the drivers, which I could choose from a list were, "Panasonic, DV camera" which was the closest option available; others were web cam, digital camera etc. but no model numbers for any of them.
    It installed that option but couldn't complete the install as a "Code 10" Unable to start, error was the cause. Hence why I was checking for updated drivers etc as per previous post.
    Now my dilemma is, as I was going thru the help pages, it mentioned to try uninstalling and re-installing the hardware, which I did, but it doesnt get recognized again as it did earlier. ARRGH!!!!
    Also while I was reading other posts, ppl mentioned checking IRQ's which I checked under my System Info, and found the card would be sharing IRQ numbers with things such as ohci 1394 host controller, via rev5 usb universal host controller, and the IRQ numbers would change whenever I moved the firewire card into a different empty PCI slot. One other thing I noticed was there was no IRQ2 in the list anywhere??? Is this normal?
    Im getting very close to going crazy now!!!

No I didnt get to try and use ulead or moive maker, as I didnt think it would work.
    Also, how do I check or even know which motherbaord driver I need?
    Last edited by BUDZZ; September 9th, 2004 at 08:32 PM.

code 10 means lack of resources. This is often helped by a bios update for the motherboard (at your own risk). Other ways include turning off stuff you don't use in bios such as com ports (serial), onboard irda or other things you don't use. This frees up resources.

It's not just about irqs, but about how bios handles irq sharing and how windows and the bios get along.

The slot that the firewire card is put in can make a huge difference. All motherboards pci slots share their resources with something onboard... pci slot 1 usually shares with the agp port... check in the motherboard manual to find the best slot - for me it was slot 3 out of 5.

Thanks NooNoo for your help! Its been great!!!

Well I've given up trying to install it in my machine, and I have put into the firewire card owners computer. His is an AMD2200+ 512mb ram,Win 98SE, and it already has a Flyvideo card in it for watching tv (co-axial input only), and another card driver?? (an old one I think, which has been removed.)which was an asus type card?????
    I have installed the firewire card, windows recognizes it, and is installed as OHCI 1394 adapter.
    I can get further in setting this up in the MYSonic Arcsoft software, whereby I can get into trying to select the Panasonic DV camera, but it is not in the list to select. (The camera is not installed in device manager either!!!!) If I dont try and change the input all I see is a blue screen inside the softwares preview window.
    I have tried to install the camera under 'add new hardware' to no avail, and also by starting windows while the camera is on, but windows wont start at all when I try this.
    Now when I switch the camera on, the mouse freezes, stopping you from doing anything else at all, and then when I press "play" on the camera, it makes the whole computer restart.
    What can I do????? Or what am I doing wrong if anything??????
    Also in reading other posts, I've read in trying to update Directx, but is there a simple way to check what version of Directx is already has installed as I dont want to install something I dont have to.
    Any help still greatly appreciated!!!

do you get a device in device manager labelled 61883?

Start, run, dxdiag will give you the version.

Hey thats very cool NooNoo!!!

Ran dxdiag, and it told me on the first (System) page, that I have DirectX9b!!
    Microsoft claimed there was NOT any easy way to check your version of DirtectX!!!

Unfortunately no, there isn't any device under device manager labelled 61883!!
    Is that another name for the DV camera??

61883 device is the standard that dv cameras operate under. Seeing a 61883 device would mean windows sees the camera and understands it a dv, but doesn't know which one.

9.0c is available, it may affect this problem. It may be worth uninstalling any and all drivers you find, uninstall the 1394 from device manager and then remove it from it's slot (after you shut down the machine that is).

Then reboot and make sure it doesn't try and find a device that is not there... then reinstall the 1394 card from scratch. Reboot afterwards and then try again with the camera.

It is worth noting that Platypus recommends that you have the camera in standby using battery when you plug in the firewire, then turn on the camera and allow it to detect, then and only then connect the mains supply to the camera as connecting the mains supply before this can cause the dv firewire part of the camera to fry itself.