problem identifying correct bios for gericom

Thread: problem identifying correct bios for gericom

problem identifying correct bios for gericom

Hi

I've brought a second hand gericom webboy laptop. I decided to update the bios, however on flashing it, the laptop died on me. No POST, No VGA, No floppy disk operation etc. Power still working and CPU fan running.

I've decided to remove the PLCC bios chip and get a repair company to reprogram it. However before I do this, I want to make sure I get a bios code that actually works for this laptop ! I approached Gericom Support but they were no help. The bios I had used for updating came from their website under Webboy folder (model 340s2). They only had one version of the bios in this folder and as my laptop died when I tried to use this version, I'd rather not use this particular source.

Before my laptop died, I did write down all the details of the bios. It is an AMI Bios, ID string, 62-0213-009999-00101111-071595-SIS630-1AAOG008. My efforts at searching for info. on internet have proved fruitless. There are suggestions that this BIOS might be used on several different laptops. Can anyone confirm where I could download the correct bios that matches this ID string?

I found this site: http://debian.stro.at/webgine.htm

which leads to this site: http://tinyurl.com/habqp

Thanks for replying. The Bios ID string does seem to suggest the Bios relates to Gericom Webgine laptop (aka as model 340s8). However the laptop is clearly marked all over the outer casing as being a Gericom Webboy (which is a lower spec model than the webgine - model 340s2). Is it possible that Gericom put in a better motherboard inside the laptop, but branded it as a webboy ?

Nothing surprises me about what companies will do. You are just gonna have to keep digging until you can't find any more info I guess. That was the best info I could find.

gl

Thumbs up

Just to say that I managed to get my Gericom Webboy Laptop (celeron 766, 10gb HD, DVD-Rom) up and running again using the bios code that was actually intended for the Gericom Webgine 340s8 model.

A very helpful company, programmed a new chip for me and hey presto I can start the laptop again !

So if any Webboy users get into the same fix I did, I suggest you download the webgine bios code (340s8, no tv output) from www.gericom.com.

If you are looking for a helpful company to programme bios chips in UK, go to

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/grains.pay.htm