Windows XP Pro Stalls during setup + Other issue PLEASE HELP.

Thread: Windows XP Pro Stalls during setup + Other issue PLEASE HELP.

Windows XP Pro Stalls during setup + Other issue PLEASE HELP.

Hi, I have Windows XP Pro, and I have a serious problem. I don't know exactly what the problem is but I can tell you guys what is happening. Out of the blue, my computer started to act very strange in the past week; it all started from what I thought was a semi-loud noise coming from my speakers. But they didn't blow out, all that happened was my computer froze. Ever since this happened, my computer regularly started to freeze, at no particular point really, it would just freeze. I updated EVERYTHING; I ran spyware checks the whole deal. I don't think it was a virus, I ran 3 virus checks, and my startup had virtually nothing except for Norton. So, the other day I decided that I was going to reinstall windows. I have two hard drives on the computer, one is a sata drive 300gig that I transferred all of my important documents to, and the other (the one that was running windows) is a 120gig drive.

Anyways, so I install Windows XP fine and dandy. I start doing some routine updates (graphics card, windows update, nothing to out of the ordinary.) After I restart the computer, for three times it would get to the loading screen (blue bar) and just freeze right away. After this happened, the computer would give me the error "no OS found" or something similar. I opened my computer and everything is secure and I also cleaned out all the dust. Reluctantly, I insert me XP disc, set it to load from CD... It starts to load its different files needed to proceed with installation (you know before it asks you to do anything all the stuff it loads) and then when it is done I presume the last step is at the bottom left where is says "Setup is Starting Windows" when it gets to this point, I assume my computer locks up because it doesn’t go anywhere after that point. My disc is completely clean and I have also tried my friend’s disc which I know for a fact works.

I am very eager to fix this problem and if anyone is willing to help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Welcome to WinDrivers:

You need to provide some more info: what do you have installed for cards versus what is onboard the mobo?

If you have a sound card, have you tried removing it and reloading XP? Same goes for any modem/network cards.

What about ram? After the above, try using only one stick of what you have - if that fails try the other stick (assuming you have 2+ sticks).

Did you try a reinstall with the speakers disconnected?

Ok, I had a small breakthrough, with the winxp cd disc inside the drive. Ok, so it gets to the point where it says press any key to boot from cd.. Anyways, I didn't click anything and what came up was the prompt for windows didn’t shut down properly this time! I was able to get into safe mode and in safe mode I ran msconfig and set it do run a diagnostive start up (so nothing would load and mess it up possibly) anyways, I did this and I had the same problem. Before the blue bar even starts to move the computer basically locks up and it won't move.

I will try what you suggested and post in a bit.

Try using a new CD drive. i have this happen a lot and it is usually the CD drive being unable to read the CD all the way.

Chris P.

This is the log from my guilds website
    I had some people that work for my dad try to fix it and they couldn't.. I had it unplugged all last night and today when I turn it on it was working fine.. ***!! I don't know whether to be happy or mad.. I hope this crap dosen't happen again. 7/10 2:00

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
    Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
    Report Type Quick Report
    Computer LARBY-9BC619EC8
    Generator Larby
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
    Date 2006-07-10
    Time 18:15

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name LARBY-9BC619EC8
    User Name Larby

Motherboard:
    CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2400 MHz (11 x 200) 4800+
    Motherboard Name Asus A8N-SLI Premium (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
    Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce4 SLI, AMD Hammer
    System Memory 2048 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award (03/02/06)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX (256 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
    Monitor Dell 2005FPW (Digital) [20" LCD] (T613058304HL)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter Creative SB0350 Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
    Audio Adapter nVIDIA MCP04 - Audio Codec Interface

Storage:
    IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller
    IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
    IDE Controller NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller
    SCSI/RAID Controller Silicon Image SiI 3114 SoftRaid 5 Controller
    Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
    Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y120P0 (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
    Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
    Optical Drive PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 (DVD+R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:16x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:32x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
    SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 117232 MB (111916 MB free)

Input:
    Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
    Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
    Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
    Network Adapter Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (192.168.0.100)
    Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport

Peripherals:
    USB1 Controller nVIDIA MCP04 - OHCI USB Controller
    USB2 Controller nVIDIA MCP04 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
    USB Device Generic USB Hub
    USB Device USB Composite Device
    USB Device USB Human Interface Device

This posted at 6:45 7/10 a few times today already its been acting up AGAIN, just a little bit differently. I have been able to use the computer in safe mode all the time and that has not been a problem. I have also been in normal windows on several occasions. I am back in safemode(with networking) and writing this. when I select the option to load windows normally, the screen shows up kind of dark and just freezes right away. I think i'll come back and it will start working again but I predict that it will also stop.. I have no idea how to proceed from here. Mem test didn't find anything btw. and chkdsk is fine.. =(

7/11/2006 (this morning)

its working again.. wonder how long before it breaks.. seriously. memtest wen't fine btw

oh, and my case ventilation is fine.. I have a tornado for the cpu fan and 6 fans in the computer.. its like an antec tower.. Videocard has a fan and its working also.

Do you have the Nvidia Nforce4 drivers installed?

yep

if it goes again...try reloading with the basics..1 cd drive, 1 stick of memory, 1 hard drive and video card. If it freezes with just the basics in then a hardware problem...if not add other devices one by one till...

i would say the culprit is blown capacitor,check them to see if they have rounded tops or brownish stuff coming some place on the capacitors on top or on the side,if you don`t know what is a capacitor just ask again and someone will tell you,good luck